Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
No one can intimdate me but I live in the Middle East (hence the heat) so attitudes towards dogs are a bit different. They are secretive because the country has a massive problem with dog-theft (for dog fights and backyard breeders who sell the pups in the most horrible conditions). Sometimes they approach you outright asking if you would sell your dog to them. The shelter isn't doing so well in terms of donations considering its a no-kill shelter and they have pretty low security so really anyone can get in. Its just one way of trying to keep the dogs secure.

As for care-takers (or really maintenance crew) they are actually hired staff who watch over the kennels and the shelter in terms of maintenance. Volunteers are the administrators, trainers, etc. the ones actually dealing with the cats and dogs. At least this is how I figured they work, I could be mistaken.
Ooops! How stupid of me not to have noticed that! Living in Cyprus I now understand. Our big Malcolm Cat Sanctuary had to move to a remote spot and very close to a British Base after some lovely people chucked poison over the perimeter fence and 40 cats were found dead the next morning.

I don't know how anything works in Kuwait but everything is siga siga here - slowly slowly. Fortunately it is mainly ex pat Brits who work with the animals and most charities.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
It's a shame when you're so keen to get started that you're frustrated like this and I think you're right every moment counts when it's a puppy. BUT I don't think it's catastrophic, frustrating but not the end of the world. I think you just, understandably, want to get started. Mind you when you've been run ragged after the first fortnight or so you'll wish it had been even longer.

Good for you rescuing a dog.
Good point! I bet I would be biting at the bit trying to get the puppy back into the shelter after the first sleepless week!
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Ooops! How stupid of me not to have noticed that! Living in Cyprus I now understand. Our big Malcolm Cat Sanctuary had to move to a remote spot and very close to a British Base after some lovely people chucked poison over the perimeter fence and 40 cats were found dead the next morning.

I don't know how anything works in Kuwait but everything is siga siga here - slowly slowly. Fortunately it is mainly ex pat Brits who work with the animals and most charities.
Its the same with us, most of the people working at our shelters are also expats, although thankfully the locals (me included) are trying to change things, but like Cyprus its siga siga! We're trying to change the attitude from 'its just a damn dirty dog' to 'its life with just as much emotional responses to the world as us' but its difficult. The newer generation is waking up but the older generations are still stuck in their traditional rut.

I always thought one way to change the view was to show how useful dogs are (while we have problems with cats too, especially feral ones, cats are more liked and adopted in general than dogs.) So I wanted to introduce service dogs since we have a high number of handicapped people. But, well, that is something I am still trying to figure out.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I admire your efforts and wish you luck with your venture.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2