Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Chunky!

I've been told by the vets that Harvey was "chunky" and could do with losing some weight,so i was wondering if the food i was giving him was causing it, i give him about a third of a natures menu pouch mixed with some james beloved dry complete biscuits twice a day its not a huge dinner but i just wanted to know what you thought if you think this is ok or quite fatty foods?
I've cut down on snacks to fruit and veg and giving him more exercise so hopefully that will work if anyone has any ideas of good exercises or games to lose weight?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Some dogs just put weight on- my JR has been on Naturediet Lite and Burns high oats- both low cal- for ages and its so hard to get weight off her. Shes very active too.
"Extras" pile weight on too- treats, left-overs,bones.....
Some people say keep them on their normal food just cut down on quantity......Has your vet had any suggestions ??
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Not really just cut down on snacks but sometimes people in the family sneak him bits of this and that and i go crazy so the vet said if i see them do this half his dinner that day so he's not getting as many calories. i would like it if he liked naturediet or even burns but he just doesnt seem keen and turn his nose up so i stuck with natures menu and james wellbeloved.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Personally, I wouldn't feed two completes together. It's really not necessary. You should, IMO, mix the wet food with standard mixer biscuit. Try that, you won't have to cut down the bulk then. That and an increase in exercise, and a nag at the relatives should do the trick
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Do any of you know any good mixer biscuits?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Mixer biscuits are wheat, sugar, additives- look on the packets for ingredients...garbage food. I cook organic brown rice in chicken stock and feed that as a natural filler- bulk with no additives or sugar.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 09:00 PM
ok your gonna think im a pain now do any of you know a wee snack thing i can give harvey one or two hours before going to bed because i think its quite a long time from his 2nd meal to all through the night, just wondering if there was a wee thing not a meal or anything just something to keep him going from 8pm or 9pm to next day
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Not sure the kind of quantity you are thinking about - is this a treat to be factored into his overall daily diet or something extra, say for training? I would have thought he'd probably be okay during the night but all dogs are different .

You could make sardine cake/biscuits, freeze them and take them out as needed. You can vary the size too, to training size or something more substantial.

If you don't want to be bothered with cooking (I'm about to make a batch ) you could try something like Burns Kelties, which are good quality dog biscuits and can be broken up too.

Or a bit of salt-free rice cake? A bit of fruit or veg? Small piece of meat? Bit of sardine (canned in oil)?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 07:12 AM
my lot have a carrot about 1hr before bed as its good for them and they love it, but no fat which is good they have about 3 carrots a day.

i use the cuisen mixer biscuit which they laove as well.

P@H have got a complete food out now for the over weight dog which helps they to lose weight mums dog is on that as he was a bit over and vet said he needed to lose some he is doing great on this and vet is over the moon maybe try that hun.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:40 AM
The best 'mixer' biscuit I have found that is free from too much rubbish and animal derivatives is asda's own 'Smart Price' brand - I searched for ages looking for a decent mixer biscuit - checking out all the major brands etc but asda's for me is the best one :smt001
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >