Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KerryH
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Allergies....need opinions, please!

3 puggles, 5, 4, 2 yrs. Oldest one shows worst signs, chewing feet, red ears, circle scooting. 4 yr, watery eyes, licking like crazy, and some circle scooting. 2 yr, red ears, red belly, itching.
Past food: nature domain fowl, w chicken and green beans. Switched to nature domain salmon, w green beans.
Switched to home cooked beef, eggs, rice and green beans.
All horrible!

Present: home cooking pork roast, sweet potatoe, vegis. Been on this for 2 weeks and still show signs.
**supplement: Nutro pet in gold can. Not sure of it tho?

Numerous vet visits, keep giving steroids. I hate to mask the issue, want to find the reason!
*revolution flea med, just switched to that last week.

Any info appreciated!
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Some wormers as well as flea med will do that I use drontel wormers and spot on flea treatment .
Also u can use antihistamine to relief the horrid itching .use one for children of two years old , so low does liquid one .
Bath them in oatmill tied in a clean cloth and soke it in the bath for 20 mins then rinses dog in the water .the milker the weather the better.
Hope that helps .i no u do t want to mask the problem but poor little mites must feel rotten. And avoid dairy and gulton as much as u can.
I take it vet looks for mites ?
KerryH
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2014, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. Funny you mention wormer, cause they just did a round 6 woks ago. Also the flea med, Revolution covers parasites.

I've been to vet just last Friday. 3 times in last 6 woks. Vet also says allergies, but said very hard to determine. Not mites, as I'm familiar w demodex mites. I foster dogs and have had few w them.
Thanks for the oatmeal bath tip. I'm gonna do that tomorrow!
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Have you checked its not a contact allergy, like grass pollen etc. I think you can do blood tests to determine what the allergy is. There is a new drug called apoquel for allergies which is apparently very good, and less side effects that atopica, the problem is its so popular that stocks are low and at the moment our vets can't put anybody new on it, due to limited supply.
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2014, 09:13 PM
At first my dog was advised to have aloe Vera added to his food which did work for a while. He has very bad allergies and was constantly eating his feet til they bleed. We now have him on cetrazine 3 a day and is so much better. I buy these on line but my dog is much bigger than yours so maybe try half a tablet.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2014, 05:02 AM
I have a dog with allergies and have had a few in the past. My vet has her on chlorpheniramine brand name is chlor-trimeton. It's an old time allergy medicine often given to children. I also put her on childrens benedryl and it is doing wonders for her. If she is allergic to flea saliva it's a whole different ball game. Even when on topical flea killer the flea still gets on the dog and then dies. The saliva from a single flea before it dies is agony for the dog. The oatmeal bath is excellent to ease the itching. I have found that it works best if you bathe the dog with a good flea shampoo and then do the oatmeal bath. you can make up the oatmeal mixture and add it to a half a bottle of flea shampoo and do both at the same time.