View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
niclee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Irish Staffords: why "Irish"? What is the difference?

Wow....Having read the threads on the unfair media hyped prejudice about Staffords and their owners, I was begining to think that nobody liked us......

.....Then I read the threads about Irish Staffs (my dog) and realised that even some of the owners of English Staffs don't seem to like our breed.

I think the important thing is to just be happy with your own dog and not dismiss others.

PS Not being funny by the way just felt a bit like Millwall fc (Nobody likes us!)
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-02-2005, 10:47 PM
On this site... far from it Niclee. We are probably the most 'open minded' group of dog owners/lovers on the web!

We simply don't do Breed Prejudice

Some people might have different views on breed names/the politics etc but the dogs themselves are not looked down or frowned upon...

Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Have to admit I'm a bit lost on the Irish/English Stafford debate! I do have my preferences, despite never owning the breed, but don't see a right or wrong! Like you say Eraze each to their own! Love all dogs regardless! :smt049
niclee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes I see that after having read 'Why am I so different?' ahhh!
I think I must have been a bit hyper after seeing the Chrissie/Zoe/Sam Combo on Dirty Den!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by niclee

Wow....Having read the threads on the unfair media hyped prejudice about Staffords and their owners, I was begining to think that nobody liked us......
I think the important thing is to just be happy with your own dog and not dismiss others.
PS Not being funny by the way just felt a bit like Millwall fc (Nobody likes us!)
niclee ..... I love you all
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I think I must have been a bit hyper after seeing the Chrissie/Zoe/Sam Combo on Dirty Den!
Ooh missed that, I'll have to watch it on Sunday whilst sobering up!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Then I read the threads about Irish Staffs (my dog) and realised that even some of the owners of English Staffs don't seem to like our breed.
Its not that at all
(at least not for me )
just that the KC version has the edge for me ( well some lines anyway) but doesnt mean I dont like Irish staffs
some are gorgeous (like Lauras Cassie)
and there are some lines of the KC staff I find repulsive- as do others
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Think if the owners called them something else it would help, how can you have an Irish Stafford or for that matter an American one, although they did drop the bull bit. Can understand the confusion amongst the general public and even some or perhaps most dog owners.

Why not call them Irish Bull Terriers, ok they would still look similar but at least people would slowly realise they are not the same and the Staffie people could feel more comfortable in the identity of their own breed and the GP may understand that not all dogs bearing resemblance to the Staffie are necessarily Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

May be not all Staffie people mind this but I know if someone started to improve my breed by out crossing them to say the GSD or a Mal and calling the results a Scottish Norwegian Elkhound I would be somewhat miffed. Anybody know why they used the name of an old and established breed instead of using a new one or something more appropriate.
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Anybody know why they used the name of an old and established breed instead of using a new one or something more appropriate.
Because in a very small and very tight circle/square it originally was/is the same Stafford Bull Terrier and has been for @ 50 years

Just in Ireland, Staffords were able to be openly tried out in the field where the Irish Kennel Club held their tests of Gameness, known as the Teastas Mor. So Fanciers here in UK where happy to send good representatives of their breeding lines accross to Ireland to be tested. Successful Dogs/bitches then being used in many breeding plans, many returning back to the UK.

But the dogs over in Ireland being campaigned where from successful breeding plans and being recognised as such.
Hence the Irish strains/Irish Staffords we recognise today Dublin Red Strain, Flynn, Northford/Psycho.

The term "Irish Stafford" does makes sense when applied to the early history.

But like every other "breed/strain" before it, mass popularity is its downfall and everyone climbs onto the latest bandwagon resulting in indiscriminate breeding for quick results or profit and the inevitable diluting of the "working" genes.

I do think the modern day breeders have produced a dog that breeds true to type being leggier and more athletic in appearance. IMHO 95% of todays "Irish" Staffords are not representatives of that early history, just like 99.99% of the much maligned KC show Stafford.

For that reason I do not think it should be called The Irish Stafford.

What should they be called... Staffordshire Terrier

Flak jacket and tin hat on
CBT
Dogsey Senior

19-02-2005, 11:14 AM
now theres an idea lol lol

niclea your dog looks gorgeous! how is he/she bred?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »