Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 06:57 PM
That is an excellent question.
We were brought up with dogs and cats and from teenage years Staffs - I adore my two and so do my brother and sister. My sister has never had dogs or cats but her son my nephew is Autistic and that in itself makes life harder and unpredictable therefore she nor her husband think a dog would be a good idea but her daughters my nieces come down and treat my two like thier own.
They have a rabbit and he is well loved.
My brother and his wife had a boxer "Bruce" (from Boxer rescue) when they first married but he was PTS aged 10 with heart disease. Their daughter was then 2 and they'd had Bruce for 8 years they were expecting their son then and did not get another dog. My brother was heartbroken when they lost Bruce.
They now have 3 children under 7 and the youngest is almost 3 when she gets to 5 they are getting another dog - and a Stafford or Boxer is top of their list.
And the three of them all think my two are fantastic Louis wrote a story at school saying his best friend was Sal. :smt049

And I can't understand anyone not loving dogs yet we were all brought up with cats and neither my brother or sister like them - yet both "love" mine. :smt058 but say they aren't cats they are "family"
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:50 PM
I've always had a love of animals from as far back as I can remember. My sisters and I always had animals, from horses to frogs (my sister even had a pet spider) When I left home, I couldn't cope with not having a pet around so went and got a cat. I then went to Battersea dogs home and got my first dog, Cas My youngest sister now has several dogs and runs an equine rescue and my other sister owns 2 dogs and 2 cats and works with animals.
For me, animals give far more than they take from life. One quality that I love more than anything else.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
-For me, animals give far more than they take from life. -
Very true Wolfie
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I have been round dogs all my life, I too had an abusive alcaholic father who used to beat us all, and our dogs were who we turned to for comfort, they would come and lay up against us as kids, and it was good to have someone to talk to when you are hurting, when I enventually got married my husband was not"a dog lover" but I brought one of our family dogs to my marital home, I could not part from him, since that time we have always had dogs, hubby is still"not a doggy person" but he knows they are part of my life and accepts this, we have now been married 25 years, and the dogs are still there to comfort me in times of stress, if I feel down the best way of me brightening myself up is to get the dogs and go off on a real good walk, just me and my dogs. I love them to bits and could never envision life with out a dog, my OH's family think I am a bit strange, as non of them have pets whatsoever, yet my blood brother and sister have dogs too that they would never be without.

MO
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2005, 03:59 PM
My father was brought up to be afraid of dogs (his mumdidn't like them, don't know why), but was prepared to take on a rescued Border Collie simply so that it wouldn't be shot (they did that on a regular basis in those days), so I reckon that upbringing does have some effect.

When I was a kid, I grew up with that BC, so having a dog about seemed the natural way of things, and I couldn't understand why some people didn't have at least one dog!

As to why I like dogs now, that's easy! Once a dog loves you, it goes on doing so no matter how nasty you are to it (God forbid!). They don't tell lies (well, OK, sometimes they do, but they are awfully bad at it ). They don't criticize you, belittle you, cheat you or say things about you behind your back. People, on the other hand, do all these things - which is why I think that dogs are far better than most people.

What I can't always understand is why they like us ! The stock answer from the ignoramus is that we feed them. It's more than that. They trust us to feed them, keep them warm, clean and healthy and not to mistreat them; sometimes, some people don't deserve that trust.

My boys? I wouldn't know what to do without them. They're my best mates, period.

Snorri
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2005, 05:12 PM
What makes us love our dogs ?

For those of us that do love dogs it is probably an innate desire to nurture and to give and receive love.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I love dogs because of the companionship and love, my boy is my life, he listens to me when i moan about men lol, he listens when im happy, sad. I dont talk about my past alot , because its very painful to talk about, but if i didnt have my dogs i would not be here today..
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 06:30 PM
i was bought up with dogs and 90% of the time it was more than 1. i had my first dog for my first birthday and she was always there for me until the end (well it was me that was not there for at the end as my mother had her PTS when i was in hospital having my first baby) after that i had the bluse after that but it was not the baby blues. after that i moved out (could not face talking to her after that and did not for 5 years).
the longest gap i had with out a dog was 9 months. we had been to look at rescues but they all said no as i had a young baby.
then 1 day inthe freeads there was a black collie x lab that i had to have and he come home and joined the family even before i told the OH after that i felt like that family was a family again and have not been with out them since
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 07:54 PM
A house is not a home without any animals, I was denied as a child so now I blame the parents for me having a zoo.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 10:02 PM
My dogs are like kids to me but in a very different way because a dogs love is unconditional.you know that they will always be pleased to see you and there moods never change towards you no matter what a dog will always love you.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >