View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:29 PM

One dog or two? What are the benefits and the drawbacks?

Bodhi is only a baby still, and my circumastances aren't right, so no worries - I am NOT planning on getting another dog! (anytime soon................. )

BUT, I do daydream about having 2 dogs... I would love a smaller dog. Something that can hack good walks, but also slob out!! I think doggy company is good for dogs. And maybe, in a year or two, I may consider an addition. Providing it makes sense at the time. (ideally having a OH with a dog would be good lol).

What are the pros and cons of 1 vs 2 dogs?

I am curious, as I would love to have another addition one day
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:34 PM
WEll, when I had Jeremy, my greyhound I wanted another dog as a mate, company for him. I got Kes, lurcher, and the two of them bonded really well and I had many years of enjoyment watching them play. I'm glad I got 2.
I have Danny now (SBT) but he likes human company better than canine so I will be sticking with one now.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Think at least 2 is nice, you can watch the interaction between them and single dogs become rather too humanised for there own good.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I sometimes think Jake could do with some doggy company, cos he does come over all attention seeking sometimes! Most of the time, he's happy with just me and Mrs. C though.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think at least 2 is nice, you can watch the interaction between them and single dogs become rather too humanised for there own good.
Def go for two. I've had one, two, three and four - two is best
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I soo want a second dog. After seeing Luna playing with other dogs, I realise that that's something I just cant give her.

And seeing as I work fulltime, I think it would be nice for her with some company.

I'm only allowed one pet, where I live right now, so the goal for 2006 (well may need to prolong it to 2007) is to find another place to stay, where I can have 2 dogs (and Oliver the cat who is presently living undercover )

I'm a member of a labradorsite, and most people on there have atleast 2 dogs.. Great stories and pics you get there...
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 03:48 PM
My friend, who I got Bodhi off, has 3 dogs, all family. It is lovely to watch them interact...!

I keep finding myself looking at the Wirral Dogs home list......

But, i know I will have to be patient. I love Bodhi too much on her own right now anyway, still got to get to know her fully, and enjoy her one to one.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 05:34 PM
2 dogs is definitely better than one - as long as they get along well They play in a way that you just can't play with them and it's really nice watching them.... it's also nice to be able to go out without feeling guilty that they will be lonely, and in my case, lovely to be able to go out without Archie HOWLING his head off (he had SA before we got Ziggy)

I always thought it would be harder work having 2, but it turned out to be easier because you don't need to spend so much time playing with them and trying to devise ways of entertaining them and tiring them out - they do that together!

Bodhi I would wait until your pup is about a year-2years old and fully trained, and past the norty teenager phase.... then get another dog to keep her company
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that, of all UK dog owners, 95% have two or more.

Being one of the 95%, I can recommend it - they play together in ways that I could never join in, or replace. OK, there's the occasional squabble, but quick action can usually put a stop to it. I've never had blood running down the walls yet!

When Snorri-dog was a puppy, Kali would go to great lengths to protect him, particularly from one rather aggressive local dog, now gone.

Most people have two hands - ideal for "scritching" two pairs of doggy ears, or indulging in what I call "head-polishing" !

Snorri
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I can also recommend more than 1!
Having said that, personalities differ. Potter had SA and did not cope when left etc (She came from a house of 8 dogs), she was much happier once another furry playmate arrived! Molly loves playing with other dogs on walks, but is much more people orientated, I think she would be happy in a single dog household.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >