Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I used to with Ben
He was v carsick but he loved head out the window so if I was going slow and it was safe then I let him

Not now tho - I worry about things in their eyes - and mostly they are crated in the boot
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I feel like an awful dog owner now!!

He never sticks his head out very far and certainly not far enough to be injured by a car coming the opposite way.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
When I still had my legs, I used to let Snorri-dog sit on my knee with his nose up to the open window, where the sniff-muscles went into overdrive whenever we passed a field full of sheep or cows! His head and eyes never got out, though.

I remember once that we passed a farmer-neighbour, who nearly crashed whilst laughing at the sight of an adult Border Collie sitting on my knee!

We drove down to Bristol once; the other drivers snarled up in Spaghetti Junction were also vastly amused by the Cuddly Collie on the knee!

Snorri
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As per the title really?

Monty has recently discovered that there is some joy to be had from hanging his head out the back windows as i'm driving a long.

He only does it up until about 40mph and then he ducks back in. I don't really see the harm and it cracks me up seeing his boxer jowls flapping round in the wind in the wing mirrors!

The windows don't open far enough for him to be able to get out or anything and he never sticks his head right out in the sense that his neck is out as well, he just kind of pokes his head out.

So anyone else let their dog do this?
No & allowing your dog to travel like this could be construed as breaking the law-the Highway Code

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Nope. It's pretty dangerous, especially at faster speeds. But even if I wanted to, Dahlia's not interested. She seems to just want to lay down in the car.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Apparently yes, you can get done by the coppers if your dog isn't restrained properly in the back of your car.

Mine just go in the boot (estate car lol) behind a fabric mesh dog guard.

But I have to admit to letting Zeke sit wherever he likes in the car and stick his head out the window whilst driving though the village at 30.. when it's really hot recently, (not Keisha-she would be a hazard!) I've been worrying about him in the boot with all this heat, he seems not to be able to cope with it very well at all. But I know, naughty

I have even been known to drive past workmen through the road repairs in our village recently, and shout/bark WOOF! at them at the top of my voice with Zeke's fat head hangin out the window, oh you should see them jump!

I know, me very bad
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
No I don't the dogs are all in the boot behind a dog guard but I never have the windows open either, it's always air con on and sunroof open.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No I don't the dogs are all in the boot behind a dog guard but I never have the windows open either, it's always air con on and sunroof open.
I heard that air con was really bad for dogs? Only word of mouth like and I can't even remember why? I know mine don't like it strangely enough, they pant more I wish they did, it's like a tornado got in the car everytime lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
No chance, far too dangerous IMO.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't although Molly does love it so I feel a tad guilty stopping her Now it's summer I usually leave the windows open a little in the back so she can get some air while we're driving but I never wind them low enough so she can get more than her snout out. She's too much of an escape artist to have them wound down any further and I worry about things getting in her eyes!
Page 2 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »