View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hollysmum
New Member!

26-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Help pup too submissive

Has anyone got any ideas to stop my 6mth old springer spaniel Holly from being so submissive.For the last month or so when i call her to me she will drop her head wee on the floor and when she gets to me she sits down a scoots along side ways on the floor with her head right up exposing her neck.I can assure you nothing has changed in the household she has never been hit or shouted at and untill now has been fine with me although she was a bit submissive with my husband for a while.I have tried teaching her new tricks to build up her confidence and praisingher when she learns all the time but this has not helped.We would appreciate any ideas as it is getting worse by the day and we are at a complete loss
thank you
Tam and a very soggy Holly!!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Why not try adding flower essences to her water such as larch. Just add a dropper full to her water. The only other thing is to walk away so that she understands that the message is not having the impact she was hoping for and she might try something else.
Robert
Dogsey Senior

26-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I wonder if this behaviour could be a springer thing? I hear of lots of springers weeing in excitement, Heidi was and is to a certain extent like that, I put it down to her being overwhelmed at puppy class by much bigger puppies, and also being jumped a few times by lurchers and colllies.

I think al you can do is try to ignore it and hopefully she'll grow out of it
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2004, 10:30 PM
I think it's just a phase which maybe Springers tend take to a bigger extreme than other dogs. Just ignore it, and act as normal as you can.

But I know that I would rather have a very submissve dog than a very dominant one.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2004, 02:00 AM
A couple of thoughts. Does Holly wee when you call her to you if you are crouching down or kneeling on the floor? Some pups find that a human towering over them to be quite intimidating, especially with hands out ready to pat/stroke.

Does she wee if you call her without looking at her? Again some dogs find being stared at difficult to cope with.

Does she wee if you go to her rather than calling her to you?

I would try getting really low down on the floor, not too far away from her, call her quietly without making eye contact or moving your hands towards her. I know this is not practical for everyday situations, but if you could try it for a while it might help to boost her self-confidence.

I am assuming, of course, that she is never, ever, reprimanded for her involuntary wees