Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
im not a big fan of behaviourists either... but that just based on what I have seen or heard round my way... its just a big con as far as Im concerned... the prices they charge...
That I do agree with, but how many times on here are people advised to call in a behaviourist.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
That I do agree with, but how many times on here are people advised to call in a behaviourist.
all to often. I have yet to meet someone who had there problem solved by one.. though Im sure YS said years ago she used one and it worked....

I hate to go into my views on it all.. as I know there are a few behaviourists on the forum...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 06:07 PM
because of some tv programes people will use every harsh method in the book before they contact a trainer or behaviourist, by the time they do the dog is often so much worse..
I totally agree with you Shona, but you can't reason with stupidity

P.S. Bryan went past 3 dogs yesterday without barking - one Westie ven barked at him and he paid no attention, didn't even look at it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I totally agree with you Shona, but you can't reason with stupidity

P.S. Bryan went past 3 dogs yesterday without barking - one Westie ven barked at him and he paid no attention, didn't even look at it
ah.. hes a work in progress... you are getting there with him though.. if you think back a while you couldnt have passed one dog without him having a good old ding dong at it
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I have heard on another Forum that people think his methods of training are a bit cruel! I have watched many, many of his t.v. programmes, most more than once and I have never seen him do anything that would hurt an animal! If I did, I would definitely not be a supporter of him. I think he is wonderful. He has to be very firm with some animals (because the owners have allowed them to become out of control) but I have never seen him use any method that I would not use on my own dogs. I have never seen him use any collars that I have thought would hurt an animal. However, I keep hearing about prong collars and I really don't know anything about these - well.................. having Chihuahuas, they'd not really be necessary! lol

Hm well his Illusion collar/lead is a slip lead with a stopper used on most of the dogs, this is pulled up under the ears at the top of the neck where there are many near surface nerves, it is then fixed very tight & kept up with a collar that is fixed at the top & bottom of the neck. He then olds the slip lead making it look as if it is loose around the dog's neck, but it isn't & constant pain is caused by the tight noose under the ears. It is this pain that ensures the dog shuts down & appears "calm submissive". If the owners have pinch collars or chokers on the dog then he uses these in the old fashioned way(including putting the choker up under the ears & pulled tight)

Instead of listening to his "spiel"switch off the sound & watch just the dogs & their lack of expression after he has"cured"them

The Alpha Roll has no place in dog training & does not exist in the wild or domestic Canidae packs. Mothers do not roll their puppies they will pin them down with a paw or their mouths gently, puppies are allowed massive privileges by adult dogs & in essence when they cease to be puppies the corrections occur by the other pack members & the young dogs learn quickly.

We really keep our dogs in perpetual puppyhood to some extent-they never leave the "pack"to set up their own pack & be alphas themselves. Also they do not set out to try to dominant humans, they behave like puppies through their lifetimes to some extent & can constantly try to push the boundaries they have had set-this is way quick fixes like CM do not work & dogs being creatures of habit need consistancy & not bullyboy treatment
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 06:25 PM
im not a big fan of behaviourists either... but that just based on what I have seen or heard round my way... its just a big con as far as Im concerned... the prices they charge...
I think lots of people have jumped on the behaviourist bandwagon, but I have had a good experience with a behaviourist, who was recommended to me by the local ringcraft class. Ellie, the GSD that I walk had some issues and her owner asked me if I could help her find someone to help, which I did. Her methods are kind and calm and it really has workied a treat for Ellie.

Shaking rattle bottles and squirting water would have made Ellie worst IMO, but this particular behaviourist knows her stuff and treats all cases as individuals, which I'm sure many don't.

There are probably as many bad ones as good ones though. we were just lucky to get someone on personal recommendation. She came out twice, for a couple of hours each time and charged £50.00 a visit, which I don't think is excessive.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Are you sure you mean the illusion collar because it looks about an inch wide webbing to me
the thin slip bit
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 08:36 PM

Me too...or me three!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Same position as a gentle leader, they don't hurt.
The pressure of a gentle leader is on the face, around rhe muzzle in the same place as you would put a calming band....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The pressure of a gentle leader is on the face, around rhe muzzle in the same place as you would put a calming band....
No it isn't when fitted properly the calming band is high on the neck not on the face, there is a part that goes around the face and it's far from calming it actually sends most dogs into a frenzy trying to paw it off, or they constantly shove their head between your legs to rub it off
Page 6 of 40 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »