View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 12:00 AM
He has helped alot of dogs and desperate owners. Look at all the dogs he himself has rescued. Noone is going to agree with every trainers training styles.
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:48 AM
I have read his book, and we occassionally watch his programme. However, Wembley is a puppy and not a dominant dog who needs bringing down because of aggression so we don't use it with him. I think some of his methods are good, he has helped a lot of people, but there are methods that make me wince, but like someone else said, it is tv instruction, reality tv, not something that I would go for without someone in front of me helping me out.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 07:15 AM
no he dosent understand dogs, watch him stroke a dog when hes not"training", it says it all, hes so uncomfatable around dogs when hes not doing his bit.

Hes a bully & although his methods may work short term/& or long term if the owners "can" keep up the method, this isnt dog training.

The exceptions would be people that CAN cherry pick the best ideas & modify them, ie Trouble & her doggies, who always talks alot of sense.

I HATE watching him training a dog not to pull on the prong or his invention the illusion collar, Surely in this day & age we dont need to abuse dogs like this.

Im not going to keep banging on about the sheltie & the toaster
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 07:18 AM
He's a TV celebrity - the more drama the more money...

I have only watched a few on YouTube, and I really believe the money is better for him than the dog training... Also you watch a segment, lasting maybe 30 minutes, and it appears he has solved the problem... He might have been with the dog numerous times, what you only see the best/worst bits...
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I like him and some of his methods have worked VERY well for us.

But I'm not a *fan* of any particular approach or methodology, and I believe that all the theories about why things work need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are just theories used to explain observed results.

I just use what works and tend to take ideas from lots of different people. But I think I can safely say that the Dog Whisperer program has given me the most ideas that work.

Another approach that has worked well for us is http://www.naturaldogtraining.com/

Although it seems almost opposite at face value when you look into it you realise that a lot of the basics are the same. Just opposing theories to explain the same thing.

I tend to think that rewarding and ignoring alone is great for teaching superficial 'tricks', and some of those tricks lead to conditioning and thus control of the dog. But with some dogs at least (all are different I know) I think it's the more subtle stuff that gives you better control of the dog when the chips are down and it's desparate to act on it's instincts.

It's very important I think to consider what your dog has been bred to do. Some breeds have been selectively bred for generations to bond with one human and live to please that human. Others have been bred to work independently and even (in the case of my dog's breed) ignore the human while at work.

We choose a particular breed because we like it. It therefore makes no sense to treat it as if it's a completely different breed. I think you can get a lot more out of your dog if you really learn about it and find out what makes it tick rather than simply doing what various obedients teachers and dog experts dictate.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:52 AM
We watch him and think he is really good. There are a few things I see and think not sure if that is nce but the dogs repond and like you said it is treating them like dogs.
He can always see what is wrong and treat it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:23 PM
To treat a dog like a dog is to treat it with respect, that is what they deserve.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I dislike the man & his methods, I can never forget the little dog that was dying that he didn't take to the vet & allowed his dogs to bully relentlessly for a month. Anyone who could not see that the dog was ill obviously understood nothing about dogs behaviour at all.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What are other's views on his methods.
I think you'll find that the majority on Dogsey do not approve of him.

I have watched him a few times on Sky and I must say that I feel uneasy about his methods.

Furthermore, I feel that he doesn't really give the owners the background to a dogs problem. It's just 'do this' and 'do that' and all will be fine.

Also (as with a lot of TV) clever editing makes it all look so easy.

All in all I agree with most people on here, not a 'good guy' in my book
monosyllabic
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I think alot of the time he is OTT and could use better mothods (he may not know any) but I have seen him come up agains dogs that other tv shows won't touch or have tried and failed and managed to make the dogs happy and more balanced.
Again he might or might not explain to the owners more when he is off screen but from what you see i think he is just kinda like do this, then do that and the dog is fixed.
I have 2 of his books and they are ok at best for training but fun to read.
Got to remember dogs are like kids everyone raises them and disiplines them differently but the main issues are how they turn out and were they hurt in the process.
Cesar uses a flooding a lot and i think thats what people don't like along with prong and e collars. An example of flooding would be if you were scared of spiders to lock you in a box filled with spiders untill you relised no harm has come to you and you are no longer scared of them. This is very dangerous because you could end up having more mental problems when you come out.
I would never try his motheds myself as they seem to be high risk ones but they seem to work for him.
sorry if the spelling is off i'm getting tired lol
Page 2 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »