Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
.Also taking her out for walks is a good idea, and part of the bonding process, .
Grooming aswell very good for bonding
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Lol - very true
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Yep been grooming her as well - she malts like she's going bald (which she isn't I might add!)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I'm going to give conflicting thoughts on the crate.

IF she has been used to a crate, it will definitely be the way to go, but if she hasn't, there is as much chance that the crate will make her feel trapped as of making her feel safe.

I didn't think about it until Rachel asked the question about whether it was better to keep her in one room, but I can see some similarities here with my Stumpy.

Stumpy was not destructive so she had the run of the house from day one, but she was very, very scared of just about everything and we decided that a crate would make her feel safe. It didn't.

We never forced her in but left it open and would put treats in there. We left it up for weeks and tried to encourage her use of it and she did go in once or twice (we never got to the stage of closing the door because she was never comfortable enough) - she was just much happier in a more open environment.

I wonder if it is more to do with the 'fight or flight' syndrome - Stumpy is very much a 'flight' dog - her first instinct is to run away from anything scarey, so to her, the feeling of being trapped is terrifying. From the limited amount I've heard of Bailey, it sounds like she might be the same.

For the time being, rather than buying a crate which might end up being a waste of money, why not make a kind of den under a table or in the corner of the room. There must be something in the house you can use - blankets etc (just like making tents when you were a kid). If you do this and she likes that area, a crate would be good - if she shies away from it, I don't think she's going to like a crate.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:51 AM
We thought that last night too and put her bed under a table with an overhang. She's settled there now and seems to be content but if iI leave the room (even if I shut the door behind me go back in again) she gets really distressed again
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I have to admit when I read this to start with I though 'what a nasty person'
New dog 1st night causes distruction - how do I get rid of the dog?
But the more you have posted the more I see you really care

If she was good under the table then I think using the crate as her safe place - and building up slowly to leaving her as described above is a good thing
Make it be a nice place where all good things happen and build up the leaving her v slowly

At the moment the poor wee girl is so scared
be slow and gentle with her - and I think you are right to think of her like a puppy
treat her like a pup, dont let her out of your sight, keep her somewhere safe when you cant be with her 100%
Also dont overdo the petting and hugging - at the moment you are a stranger to her and she is wondering where her people went - take her walks, feed her but dont overly fuss her until she comes to you

I am sure she will get better once she is settled and believes she finaly has a safe home that she will never get taken away from

I think you know you have made a big mistake thinking that a rescue with issues would be much easier than a pup - any new dog needs time to get used to a new situation
but its your dog now, and your later posts are sounding more encouraging
I am sure all will be fine - and in a few months you will find that she has bonded to you so closley

My friends took on a failed sheepdog, lived in kennel for the 1st year
1st day they were at work she ate the floor of her crate, got out and switched the gas cooker on!!
But fairly quickly the dog realised she was in a safe place and she is the best behaived most snuggly loving dog out of all their dogs - she knows she is in a good place now
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:11 AM
LaraC....your post asks for help....and hopefully that is what will be offered.

But playing devil's advocaat here, have you wondered, just how long it will take to reassure the dog, and what you will do if you can not.

Like all living beings dogs have feelings, maybe not so in depth as us humans, but they feel, scared, fear, happiness, joy....just as we all do. Unfortunately you can not tell the dog...we'll be back in 2 or 4 hours. That dog only knows you both as complete strangers, and will be wondering where it's owners have gone.

Your rules and boundries will be different to previous owners which will only add to an anxious state, you have to think long term. Just like us here who Foster Children, each one comes with thier own baggage, so do rescue dogs or dogs that are re-homed.

IMO you need time off work, to walk the dog, time talking, even just sitting on the back step etc., But if that is a dog that doesn't like being left alone, have you thought what you are going to do.

Did you see the inside of the previous owners house....was there any damage there done by this dog.

Sorry I don't want to sound as if I am judging you because I am not........But you need to turn this round and think how the dog maybe feeling at the moment. Then trust will need to be worked on, a few weeks work ahead of you IMO.

Hope it all settles down for you both
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh believe me, I know exactly how Bailey feels - being thrown from pillar to post! I can see it in her behaviour.

Yes, we saw her in her last home and there was no destruction at all.

Our problem is time, we simply don't have it - we both work and need to work to pay for the house.

We are looking and talking to a couple of GSD charities and seeking their advice (my OH is actually on the phone to one of them now).

Right - going to have to nip to the loo - wish me luck! (for dealing with Bailey when I come back down - not for actually going to the loo!)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
Oh believe me, I know exactly how Bailey feels - being thrown from pillar to post! I can see it in her behaviour.

Yes, we saw her in her last home and there was no destruction at all.

Our problem is time, we simply don't have it - we both work and need to work to pay for the house.

We are looking and talking to a couple of GSD charities and seeking their advice (my OH is actually on the phone to one of them now).
I feel for you and Bailey. These are things that have to be considered, mine are rescues but I am home all day, I doubt I would consider one without taking time off work, if I went out to work. She obviously feels insecure at the moment, and those issues will take time and patience. Best of lick with what you decide
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 10:23 AM
lol - lick! Thanks ... my OH is still discussing the situation with the rescue
Page 6 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »