View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Do you have a friend who could be in the house? Or at worst case scenario a pet sitter (yes it would cost pennies but in comparison to loss of earnings and fixing stuff, it may be the cheaper option)

She really needs time to bond with you and gain your trust. I am pretty sure then a lot of the destructiveness would stop, she is lashing out as she is confused upset bewildered and frightened and no amount of you telling her its ok will work you have to show her. Spraying walls doors etc with a vinegar dilution may help but if she is really that distressed you may then find she starts to chew herself like paws etc and that can be really distressing for you and her.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I think Ramble is spot on here. Maybe the previous owners were slightly untruthful but TBH you haven't even had her 24 hours if i understand correctly. I can't believe you are expecting to leave her already. I appreciate you have to work but why take on a RESCUE dog if you aren't able to take the time off to make sure the dog settles in properly? I am thinking that the idea of getting your second one (which i thought was daft doing anyway as you have no idea how the 2 will interact and you have never owned a dog before let alone 2 large rescues) is now going to be postponed? I don't know what to suggest about the destruction apart from DAP as someone else metioned but you have to give this dog time to settle in and understand that this is is home now. Poor thing is probably so confused and upset.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I would recommend that you contact a GSD Rescue and ask their advice. I don`t know you or the dog and can only go on what I read, but this sounds like a very unhappy situation. A GSD is not ideal for a first-time owner and they do require a lot of attention. They are not the sort of dog to just settle down. They are anxious creatures and totally bonded to their handler usually. If she has just changed homes I would expect her to be distressed and you need to work with her to transfer her alliegence (sp?) to you. It is not difficult if you put in the time and work but it sounds like you may not be able to give her the time.
I can recommend a couple of GSD rescues if you want to pm me.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:05 AM
You have niavely put the 3 of you in an awful position.

Too late now, but I've realised that probably none of us pointed out (I suppose because it was so obvious to us) that any dog, be it pup, rescue or rehome would need time to settle in and that you should take at least 1 week, if not 2 off from work to settle the new addition in.

I don't think the owners have been particularly untruthful - she was more settled at her own home, she is just scared and very unsure. From what you describe, the damage was all the escape route (windows and doors), so she has been looking to get out, possibly back to her previous home.

Given time, I think she would settle with you, but it is just too much to expert of her within just a few hours of arriving with you.

you have 2 days until the weekend, is it really not possible for you or your OH (or take it in turns) to be off for today and tomorrow? If not, as others have suggested, a dog sitter might be the option, but this is not going to help her bond with you and will only be delaying the inevitable.

If you really do have to go to work - is there any chance that she could go with you or your OH?
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Without any sarcasm or aggression here, I know what position we are in and what mistake I have been made.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I feel very sorry for Bailey.I have 2 rescue dogs myself, and when they have been through a lot of upheaval, and bad times they do take some looking after, and it is stressful for all concerned at first.My partner and I only took the dogs on when I stopped working, so I am at home all the time with them. I may go back to work in the future, but only part time if I do, I think when a dog or dogs has been through so much you have to invest a hell of a lot to help them to settle and start enjoying life again,its been a learning curve for me, and still is but we gave it a huge ammount of thought before we took the dogs on, we also have 6 cats 4 of them rescues, and they haven't all been easy either. I wasn't sure when I read your other posts if you were doing the right thing, but didn't offer my opinion because I thought you had made your mind up anyway. What are you going to do now about the other dog you planned to rescue ? and do you feel that if a rescue centre offered Bailey a place that would be best for everyone? If that is the case, its an expensive lesson you've had, but maybe the time wasn't right for you to offer a dog a home.Please don't blame Bailey though the poor dog must be terribly confused and stressed.I do feel for you too, you had the best intentions, I hope a good solution can be found for everyone.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:14 AM
No, we don't blame Bailey for any of it - wouldn't dream of it. Its all our doing and we both feel dreadful.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:15 AM
My post was made purely because I was really surprised when I read this thread...I missed your others as life is mad here right now. I also genuinely feel awful for her.

Okay so what can you do?
Get her sued to spending short times aways from you. Get a kong and put something smelly and great in it for her and leave her with it for a couple of minutes, pop back, disappear etc.
Try to make her a safe and secure place where you knwo you can leave her. If you can, invest in a LARGE crate, or you could get a puppy playpen thing and cordon off an area for her to sleep and pace in. At least then you can leave her with no damage being done.
Accept that tomorrow, she will need someone with her, doing the leaving her small periods of time thing again...same Saturday and Sunday, gradually build it up, by Monday if you are lucky, you may be able to leave her 2hrs...
You need to build up her trust. Take her out on the lead and wear her out.
She will settle, it will take a couple of weeks...clear your diary!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Have you taken her out for some exercise - just wondering if this might help to calm her down?

Has she eaten whilst with you?

Anyone elses thoughts on the exercise?

We are trying to help Lara.

Can you get a crate for her? If you go the vets you can pick up a DAP diffuser there - this will help.

I think she needs to be limited to one room and get used to that room - it needs to be her special room that she knows is safe.

The play/toy thing she is too nervous to be thinking of that type of thing now.

Lots of good advice has been given.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, and I appreciate every single piece of it.

My OH took her out for 3 quarters of an hour this morning. She is eating and drinking - not a problem and poo'd and wee'd on her walk but am going to take her out again in a bit.

We have tried limiting her to one room but this seems to distress her more - even if I'm in with her.
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »