Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im not responsible for everyone elses Dog, and why should I have unessesary surgery on mine, just so they can do as they please?
Dawn.

I agree Dawn, but in some places it just doesn't work like that. There are some people who will just do as they please and sometimes one feels the need to safeguard against these people. Sometimes there's no other solution sadly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I agree Dawn, but in some places it just doesn't work like that. There are some people who will just do as they please and sometimes one feels the need to safeguard against these people. Sometimes there's no other solution sadly.
I agree they will Sarah, but Im not about to risk my dog and cut bits off just so they can act irresponsibly with their pets. Especially when it ruins the coat, they can develop "smells" that makes others bonk them and make them targets for entire males.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately, whether or not one neuters ones dogs, there will always be irresponsible owners with entire dogs who let them stray or let them mate with other dogs.

Ultimately, it's down to education. There's always going to be unwanted litters of puppies, it's just a good job that there are organisations to deal with them.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Especially when it ruins the coat,
Just wondered about this? Of all the neutered dogs I know (and I know a lot!) they all have nice coats - including my own dog, but he's on a raw diet so that helps.

Can it ruin the coat to a point where it is damaging to the dog or is it from a showing point of view?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Just wondered about this? Of all the neutered dogs I know (and I know a lot!) they all have nice coats - including my own dog, but he's on a raw diet so that helps.

Can it ruin the coat to a point where it is damaging to the dog or is it from a showing point of view?
It can absolutely Sarah yes. Spaniels, Setters, Afghans, coated breeds are ruined as they go fluffy, Afghans grow back puppy whiskers. Many coats go soft and thicker too. Short fine coated dogs often do not change, Whippets, Dobes, Boxers etc.. are usually fine, its the double or harsh coated breeds. When the harsh coat becomes unstrippable, then its clipped, if its clipped it not waterproof, so detrimental to the dog, likewise with Spaniels etc.. people have to start clipping them as the coat grows profusely and the silky weatherproof jacket becomes soft and woolley.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Every dog I've had neutered has shown a difference in their coats.
I'm with Dawn...why should I have to risk the health of my dog just because people can't be bothered to keep their in heat bitches safely at home?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I see, thanks for the info Dawn. I haven't seen any difference in my wiry coated terrier. In fact his coat is the best now it's ever been. He's nver liked the rain though, so he has a waterproof coat anyway

I liken why I am for neutering my own dogs to why I would get car insurance. If I don't get insurance and I crash into your car, you would be mighty p'd off.

I get my dog neutered, then if he does try to hump a bitch there's no chance of puppies resulting

I'm with you both, it's other owners that are the problem and they need to be educated. But I don't think it'll ever happen so I'll keep neutering

Ah, this thread just sucked me back in
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
It always surprises me when I read some posts re the neutering v non-neutering camps, how some people can reckon that to leave ones animals as nature intended is paramount to doing them some kind of disservice. Why all the warning of what can happen to an animal left as nature intended, why is it considered that modifying your animals is better than leaving them with all parts working as part of a whole, why do those who consider neutering and neutering as early as possible such an advantage, advantage to who or what?

There are only 2 things certain if you neuter your animals, the first is that it can’t reproduce and the second, it can’t get a disease in the part that has been removed.

Considering the above what could possible cause you to take such a irreversible step, if you have an intact dog of the opposite sex and can’t separate them when needed then you may consider that the first is the practical way to go, if you don’t have another intact animal why would you need to neuter.

When considering point two, the chance of getting a disease that may effect the organs to be removed by neutering, well this is just not logical, the dog is far more likely to fall victim to a disease in another area of the body but you will not consider removing them. At the same time removing a large proportion of the animals hormone & natural steroid producing systems may well lead to health problems that would not have occurred in the first place had the animals system, balanced by nature, not been interfered with.

Think it sad that dogs being considered possessions we are allowed to do to them what ever we choose apart that is from removing the tail and cropping the ears and yet those who are whole heartedly behind the ban on docking and cropping are in a lot of cases fully in favour of neutering. To me it seems a strange set of morals, an undocked tail may become damaged but that possibility is dismissed as not relevant but because a un-neutered animal may get a disease in the organs that has not been removed it is considered a matter of urgency that an intrusive operation is undertaken at the first possible moment.

Because dogs are possessions each and every owner can may up there own mind as to if there is a need to neuter and if that reason is morally valid, they will if they speak to others be told all sorts of stories but the fact remains there are hundreds of intact elderly dogs who have never reproduced themselves without there caring owners willing it nor been killed by one of the threatened illnesses. There are also hundreds of owners who will tell you that they have had all their dogs neutered as soon as possible and they are fine, no problems at all, well no problems they are aware of as if they have always neutered as soon as possible they have no idea what a dog left in it’s natural state is like.
Fabulous post.... tried to reppie you but it wont let me

Can you point me to some figures to prove this?

Is what happened to the puppy who was killed on the road acceptable? It could have been prevented by neutering.

I'm flabbergasted that people think it's ok to not neuter their dogs when they don't intend to breed from them. I will always, always have any dog of mine neutered. That way I can know for sure, 100% that no dog of mine will ever sire a litter.

The point being, freedom of choice.

You can be a responsible dog owner, without neutering everything on 4 legs.... just the same as those who do neuter, why would you feel flabbergasted that they are capable of not populating the world with unwanted dogs

I commend you for making 100% sure your dogs will never add to the endless supply of unplanned dogs.

But I know many people who are equally 100% sure , their intact dogs also never add to the population of the canine world.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Fabulous post.... tried to reppie you but it wont let me
Thank you Jackbox, no worries about the reppie points although I have no idea why I am not allowed them I am happy if my words are enough to make people stop and think before doing something that once done can not be undone.

It is possible to have the dogs tubes tied and this stops reproduction of puppies but not the necessary hormones for healthy growth and healthy life. It will not stop a tumour in the testis, of course, any more than will removing them stop skin or bone cancer the most common sites of cancer
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 06:34 AM
I see, thanks for the info Dawn. I haven't seen any difference in my wiry coated terrier. In fact his coat is the best now it's ever been. He's nver liked the rain though, so he has a waterproof coat anyway

I liken why I am for neutering my own dogs to why I would get car insurance. If I don't get insurance and I crash into your car, you would be mighty p'd off.I get my dog neutered, then if he does try to hump a bitch there's no chance of puppies resulting

I'm with you both, it's other owners that are the problem and they need to be educated. But I don't think it'll ever happen so I'll keep neutering

Ah, this thread just sucked me back in
Ye but no but ye but no but ye but no but ye but no....(sorry trying to lighten things!!!! )

If you go out in an uninsured car and crash into someone who has NO insurance with a car that isn't roadworthy...then you would be more angry at them than vice versa, as would the police.

Why should my dog suffer a castration (and again I say, as I haven't said it on this thread...)all the young dogs I've seen castrated have suffered to a degree either during or post op. Why should mydog suffer that? Why should he lose an important part of his anatomy (see Pita's post...excellent by the way),have his behaviour possibly change for the worse and very probably become ill? Why should I have to put him through it? I am a responsible and insured owner so why should I have to rip the bumpers from my car, making it more vulnerable than it was before, to all sorts of things, just because other people run round in uninsured cars that shouldn't even be on the road????

Back to the OP's post...(sorry I haven't read most of the thread I'm very limited on time lately)...
Yes, behaviour can and does alter post castration, but behaviours like mounting may not and may need some training to run parallel with the castration. Behaviour can alter significantly post op with this, but it is not guranteed. My old BC was castrated at 8. There was a dog we always met, who was entire,as was Mo and they went through a daily ritual of peeing up at tree higher than each other etc, then trying to mount each other...all very male macho stuff. When we saw him post castration, it had all stopped...not a sign of it.Nothing.So it can stop the behaviour in it's tracks (we weren't trying to do that though)but sometimes it needs help...
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >