pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
hello pod

thanks for the welcome.

me too. There are about 60+ pages!

Laura Sanborn gave a very spirited defence of her meta study http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...terInDogs.pdfa
a few weeks ago on Dog Pages (am I allowed to say that?) which is worth looking at. She joined the forum specifically to answer critics of her study and explained how various risk factors were arrived at.

Oh crikes, what have I been missing! I can't call that page up, I'll pm you
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I have now researched this, and it seems that the studies depend on the researchers private opinion.

The ones who are for castration have research to back it up.... the ones against also have research to back it up... The links provided are against castration.

One paper against was from 1964!

My husband was 'mutilated' (had a vasectomy) in '82... I was mutilated in '84 (hysterectomy). My daughter had her tubes tied 4 years ago... All to prevent unwanted babies.

I do know this has got nothing to do with dogs, but I think the aim is the same.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post

My husband was 'mutilated' (had a vasectomy) in '82... I was mutilated in '84 (hysterectomy). My daughter had her tubes tied 4 years ago... All to prevent unwanted babies.

I do know this has got nothing to do with dogs, but I think the aim is the same.
And this was your choice, I prefer to use other methods
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I prefer to think I am a responsible owner who does not need to have operations to remove bits on my dogs, but can still prevent them from mating bitches. Responsible ownership stops unwanted puppies.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Oh crikes, what have I been missing! I can't call that page up, I'll pm you
Ah, perhaps the link is faulty

the article is called "Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs" by Laura Sanborn.

She came under criticism on another forum for not being impartial (i.e. not agreeing with the ethos of the forum) and actually joined the forum some time around 4th May, and discussed the findings at great length and in detail.

It was extremely informative. She also posted further links but it seems the thread has either been removed or locked to non-members which is a pity as there was a wealth of information there which could have helped people come to a decision on neutering and pick their way through the minefield of percentage risk, absolute risk, lifetime risk etc. Some pages of the debate are cached on Google, however. Nothing that's published on the net is ever really 'lost'
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I prefer to think I am a responsible owner who does not need to have operations to remove bits on my dogs, but can still prevent them from mating bitches. Responsible ownership stops unwanted puppies.

quite so, and the type of safeguards that responsible owners put in place for their dogs 365 days of the year for much more serious risks, will keep those same dogs safe from unwanted matings for a couple of dozen days in the year.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Unfortuntely, you can control your own dog, but not anyone else's dogs....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Very true.
Teagan is spayed........but the I have lost count of the number of times she has been mounted in the park - both when she has been on and off lead.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
Ah, perhaps the link is faulty

the article is called "Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs" by Laura Sanborn.

Ah right. That is the one I posted earlier in the thread... with a preface by Dr Larry Katz -

http://secure.highspeedweb.net/~ldcpet/spay_neuter.htm

She came under criticism on another forum for not being impartial (i.e. not agreeing with the ethos of the forum) and actually joined the forum some time around 4th May, and discussed the findings at great length and in detail.

It was extremely informative. She also posted further links but it seems the thread has either been removed or locked to non-members which is a pity as there was a wealth of information there which could have helped people come to a decision on neutering and pick their way through the minefield of percentage risk, absolute risk, lifetime risk etc. Some pages of the debate are cached on Google, however. Nothing that's published on the net is ever really 'lost'

Hope I can get to read this. I read her stuff on other lists, she's brilliant. Thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Im not responsible for everyone elses Dog, and why should I have unessesary surgery on mine, just so they can do as they please?
Dawn.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >