View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Good post Jackie. I must admit I've had similar thoughts.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I'm confused So if my castrated dog went to a bitch that was in season he could actually tie with her?

Yes that does happen!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post

if you don’t have another intact animal why would you need to neuter.
So as not to contribute to the increasing population of unwanted dogs in this country. It's not your dog you have to worry about necessarily, it's other irresponsible owners who let their intact dogs stray.

An example - I met a woman in the park the other eveing with a 4 month old crossbreed puppy. She'd rescued it from a man who had let his intact bitch stray, it came back pregnant. He didn't want the puppies. The woman took one, but couldn't take the rest, so he let those out on the street. At least one was run over by a car and killed. If his bitch had been neutered or the dog it mated with had been, that puppy wouldn't have been born and wouldn't have been killed on the road. Is that acceptable?

I really don't understand the attitude of 'It'll never happen to me'. I never thought I would get a brain tumour, but I did.

Thanks Pod and Isochick for the info about castrated males being able to tie - I never knew that!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:29 PM
So as not to contribute to the increasing population of unwanted dogs in this country. It's not your dog you have to worry about necessarily, it's other irresponsible owners who let their intact dogs stray.
It is possible a stray dog will enter your property when you are not looking I suppose and if you think that is an overwhelming risk then you are correct in your decision to neuter, can't say it is something that I have ever had a problem with but if you do you will make you decision accordingly.

On your second point most of the unwanted dogs in this country are bred deliberately by those who could not care less if their dogs are fit or in a forever home as long as they are paid enough
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:53 PM
It is possible a stray dog will enter your property when you are not looking I suppose and if you think that is an overwhelming risk then you are correct in your decision to neuter, can't say it is something that I have ever had a problem with but if you do you will make you decision accordingly.

On your second point most of the unwanted dogs in this country are bred deliberately by those who could not care less if their dogs are fit or in a forever home as long as they are paid enough
I think especially where we live it would defo be possiable for a stray to enter properties, but for me the two reason's why I'm having Bruce done, is 1) My sister's young male dog died of test cancer at the age of four....unable to op as it had spread to far.
2) Years ago we had a unneautered male who chased after every bitch on heat.....if he got the chance.
We had fencing of eight foot, one day he'd spent the morning sniffing the air, by the afternoon he'd scaled the fence and end up under the wheels of a bus, I look at Bruce and see my little man's beautiful face, I'd hate either of those things to happen to him....we live near main roads.
But I think it is all personnal choice, perhaps if I lived near my Mom in Lincoln....out in the coutry, I may not bother.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:26 PM

I didn't say it would enter one's property. What if you had your dog off lead in the park or a field or somewhere? BTW I don't believe in 100% recall, especially in an intact dog

Can you point me to some figures to prove this?

Is what happened to the puppy who was killed on the road acceptable? It could have been prevented by neutering.

I'm flabbergasted that people think it's ok to not neuter their dogs when they don't intend to breed from them. I will always, always have any dog of mine neutered. That way I can know for sure, 100% that no dog of mine will ever sire a litter.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm flabbergasted that people think it's ok to not neuter their dogs when they don't intend to breed from them. I will always, always have any dog of mine neutered. That way I can know for sure, 100% that no dog of mine will ever sire a litter.
Well I will differ with you on that, I have owned intact males for over 60 years and never had one wander, never had one mate a bitch found wandering whilst I am exercising them but may be that is because I do not let them out of my sight and I think one of the least serious things that can happen to a dog out of the handlers sight is the meeting of an in season bitch that happens to be ready to stand.

No, I can't quote you figures and neither can you, they are not available, have to say apart from a bitch being mated in the home because someone forgot to shut a door I can only think of one occasion when I know for a fact that a bitch was mated by a free range dog and that was dealt with by a quick trip to the vets. On the other hand I have lost track of the dogs that pass through re-homing because the have been carelessly bred or homed neither of which could be said to be accidental or caused by intact dog or bitches owned by responsible people.

If you find it comforting to really believe what you are saying that’s fine by me but I find it inexcusable to mutilate a dog because of some vague feeling it may be the right thing to do with, as you say, no real data to back up the decision.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Sarah, I think it's a case of evaluating each case on its individual merits. There is now increasing evidence to refute the claims of the health benefits once touted for neutering, and it could be that in some breeds/types, there is a net adverse affect on health. Two that most concern me are the increased risk of bone problems particulary osteosarcoma (mostly relevent to large breeds) and the increase in adverse reaction to vaccination. I haven't read much on that one but intend to.

If there was a significant chance of accidental breeding, or possibly for behavioural reasons, I would wholeheartedly support neutering, but if this risk is small, then the associated health risks, not forgetting the anaesthesia and procedure itself, is not worth taking IMO.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:15 PM
If you find it comforting to really believe what you are saying that’s fine by me but I find it inexcusable to mutilate a dog because of some vague feeling it may be the right thing to do with, as you say, no real data to back up the decision.
Pita, it's not a 'vague feeling' and I find that comment very insulting. I have been involved in rescue dogs for a few years now and I have seen litters of puppies in kennels at our Dog's Trust which were unwanted.

You are one person, your experiences are your own. Not everyone is as responsible as you. How would you feel if you advised someone to not neuter their dog, telling them they are mutilating their dog and then a litter of unwanted puppies is produced which are either abused, neglected or killed?

What is the point?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Pod, TBH I don't think neutering is about health benefits, it's about population control. And for the majority of the uneducated dog owning public it should be a priority. Not everyone in this country is as responsible as the people who are members of Dogsey.

What about the 16 year old lad who buys a staffy to 'llok hard'? Would you advise him to not bother neutering his dog?

ETA: Why did this thread become a discussion on why or why not to neuter? I'm bowing out now
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »