Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
....................... Sebastian will be neutered in about 6 weeks, when he turns 6 months old... It has to be done.
Why does it have to be done ?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Yep! It has to be done.
Why, surely you do not mean you can't control your dog or that you can't be bothered to keep him safe, you must mean you have an intact bitch at home, in which case if the bitch is adult I would strongly advise if you must neuter one you choose the elder and the bitch.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 04:30 PM
My dog was castrated at approximately 8 months. He humps other dogs (male or female) when he gets excited during play.

My foster staffy is 3.5 years old and is speyed (don't know how old she was when she was done). Bryan humps her and she humps him!

So it's not strange, it's just a play/dominance ritual and unless the other dog is worried by it, it's nothing to be bothered about
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
My dog was castrated at approximately 8 months. He humps other dogs (male or female) when he gets excited during play.

My foster staffy is 3.5 years old and is speyed (don't know how old she was when she was done). Bryan humps her and she humps him!

So it's not strange, it's just a play/dominance ritual and unless the other dog is worried by it, it's nothing to be bothered about
That's fine as long as the other dog/bitch tolerates it & if a bitch it is spayed, they can still mate & tie which can be dangerous for both the dogs
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 07:13 PM
With mine, he humps her but the 'lipstick' doesn't come out (I suppose because he's neutered?).
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not worried about Harvey still having an interest in bitches or doing all the things he did before he was castrated, I just didn't want him fathering any puppies. In a way I'm glad he hasn't changed his behaviour and the castration didn't change him. The only thing I am dissappointed about is his coat, he has had two moults in six months and it is not as glossy as it was and his desire for bitches, although not gone, is outshone by his desire for food!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
With mine, he humps her but the 'lipstick' doesn't come out (I suppose because he's neutered?).

Nope it's because she is spayed & not giving off the pheromones that would make him want to really mate her
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Why, surely you do not mean you can't control your dog or that you can't be bothered to keep him safe, you must mean you have an intact bitch at home, in which case if the bitch is adult I would strongly advise if you must neuter one you choose the elder and the bitch.
I neuter so I'm not part of the problem of the many unwanted dogs in Brisbane, but I've probably replied out of turn, since the heading is 'Behaviour after castration', and I was commenting on the age of the dog we do it here.

I don't have a bitch... I have Buzz (CCR), who was neutered at 6 months... Sebastian is a cross, and will be netured in 4-6 weeks time...

It's not that I can't control him or be bothered to keep him safe, it is simply the responsible thing to do.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 07:52 AM
I neuter so I'm not part of the problem of the many unwanted dogs in Brisbane, but I've probably replied out of turn, since the heading is 'Behaviour after castration', and I was commenting on the age of the dog we do it here.

I don't have a bitch... I have Buzz (CCR), who was neutered at 6 months... Sebastian is a cross, and will be netured in 4-6 weeks time...

It's not that I can't control him or be bothered to keep him safe, it is simply the responsible thing to do.
I have no problem with people having their dogs castrated, however not @ 6 months. I have had entire males since 1971, never had an unwanted litter despite the fact that I also had entire females @ the same time & having an entire male doesn't mean that they will mate bitches & produce litters.

It is a proven medical fact that early castration prevents the growth plates closing on maturity & this leads to leg & joint problems in later life, it is also an easier operation on a puppy that an adult dog for the vets(as is early spaying).

It doesn't stop males mating inseason females nor does it stop them being interested in in season bitches, the body may be castrated, but their brains aren't.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 08:16 AM
That's probably right, but it's their bodies we have to stop working... Too many unwanted dogs at rescues..

Dogs will do ANYTHING to mate, just as humans would... It's a natural part of life...

The dog in question had 9 litter mates... If I hadn't taken him, he would have gone to the RSPCA... The people who had Sebastian's mother, also had another cross bred bitch, who also had 9-10 puppies... They all got rehomed, but maybe a lot up them ended up at the RSPCA, just like Sebastian could have done, if I didn't take him...

I have never heard of your 'proven medical fact'.. Maybe you can point me to some research?

Thanks
Lene
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »