Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have to say I would be very worried if this happened with one of my dogs. Yes, children need to learn how to behave around them,but if a dog is at al suspect, it shouldn't have access to them at all.
I would say you need to see a decent behaviourist asap, Idon't think this is something that can be sorted on the internet.
Big hug to you and good luck.
Hi Ailsa in a world full of children (particularly if you have some of your own) it is almost impossible to restrict a dogs access to them altogether.

I totally agree with you this is not something that can be sorted out on the internet and one reason why I don't think people should be posting to say 'I will PM you' and giving advice on dogs in private when they haven't even seen them (as was discussed in a recent thread) .

The best we can hope to do in these situations is to exchange experiences/make general suggestions with regard to teaching children how to behave around dogs and how to gently introduce dogs to children .

Originally Posted by Fliggle
It is just so good to have people to chat to who don't look at you like they're judging you. It's nice to chat to people who understand the funny moments of dogs. You've made me feel much better about things. Just got to get to the bottom of what caused it all and to stop a repeat of it.
..Heidi it's also good that people like you post in detail about your experiences, your doing so may give those who read your post the confidence to do the same, and others who read the thread may find some useful information too.
It's lovely that so many people take the trouble to post in these threads with helpful suggestions that we can all share and discuss openly. But thats what forums are all about isn't it
I hope the new behaviorist will be able to help you move forward with Dingo.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
The thing is Mini if you were to scream at her she'd look at you like you'd lost the plot!!!! You say she screams at your puppy? What would she do if she met a Great Dane then? Pass out on the spot? I suppose that would be the quieter option though. I am reading all these links with great interest. I'm also prayin that Sophie's friend doesn't come round today because I really want to talk to the behaviourist before that scene replays again. I get butterflies in my tummy just thinking of the bell going and it being her at the door.

Heidi
Hi Heidi, i'd agree with everyone else, sounds like he got a fright, if you feel nervous don't let her in if Dingo is around as he will pick up on your feelings and may try to 'protect' you.

Best of luck. x
Meg
Supervisor

27-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Hi Heidi, i'd agree with everyone else, sounds like he got a fright, if you feel nervous don't let her in if Dingo is around as he will pick up on your feelings and may try to 'protect' you.

Best of luck. x
Good point Random now that this has happened once Heidi will be apprehensive when children come to the house, these 'feelings' will be picked up by Dingo and may make him more nervous and protective.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Mini
I didn't mean restrict access full stop, sorry I meant in the house.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I am seeing our usual behaviourist tonight at 5pm but we have also booked a session with a different bahaviourist for Saturday afternoon so we can get a second opinion on Dingo's behaviour. It's not that we don't trust our usual one but in this sort of situation I feel the more advice the better.

The friend did arrive at the door but Sophie told them she's staying in to watch a DVD and she told them they couldn't come in because she didn't want to upset Dingo and since he has to live here, he's what is important. She's also printed off the rules for children being near dogs and stuck it to our front door. She also says she's going to give a copy of them to her friends as well for them to learn. I'm so proud of how grown up she is being about it all.

At the moment Sophie is sitting on settee with Dingo in front of her reading the rules to him as well. She looks interested but Dingo just looks blank.

Heidi
I'm sure he is taking it all in though! Good for Sophie as the girl also needs to know that her behaviour was not appropriate.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Spoke to Dingo's behaviourist tonight and he feels that Dingo was startled awake by the door opening and this was quickly followed by my daughter's friend jumping and and screaming. Dingo was reading the friend's behaviour as submissive so therefore he had to dominate the situation and also the fact that Sophie's friend hid behind Sophie, Dingo was making a move to protect my daughter from what her had perceived to be a threatening situation. We've got to carry on as normal around children who are confident around dogs and until this nervous friend can be educated in the correct way to respond to a dog, he has to be kept away from her.

My daughter Sophie was listening to the whole conversation and it has been decided that her friend will not be coming into the house or the back garden any time soon.

My only concern now is I normally take him with me to the bus stop to put Sophie on the school bus. I don't want to transfer my concerns about Dingo's reaction to kids on to him. Dogs, they do make us work hard don't they?

Heidi
Meg
Supervisor

27-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Heidi that all sounds very positive (and pretty much in line with what everyone here suggested)

Dingo is a lovely little chap, I am sure if you can work through this it will all be worth it in the end
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Dingo is an amazing chap, he's been through so much and has plenty of love to give still. We will work through this and we will come out the other side with grins on our faces. We will not be beaten.

Heidi
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Ailsa in a world full of children (particularly if you have some of your own) it is almost impossible to restrict a dogs access to them altogether.

I totally agree with you this is not something that can be sorted out on the internet and one reason why I don't think people should be posting to say 'I will PM you' and giving advice on dogs in private when they haven't even seen them (as was discussed in a recent thread) .

The best we can hope to do in these situations is to exchange experiences/make general suggestions with regard to teaching children how to behave around dogs and how to gently introduce dogs to children .

..Heidi it's also good that people like you post in detail about your experiences, your doing so may give those who read your post the confidence to do the same, and others who read the thread may find some useful information too.
It's lovely that so many people take the trouble to post in these threads with helpful suggestions that we can all share and discuss openly. But thats what forums are all about isn't it
I hope the new behaviorist will be able to help you move forward with Dingo.
yes isnt this just a super thread,,, keep us posted on dingos progress,x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

It is so useful when people post what they are doing - I'm really enjoying posting about how Shona and I are working together to get Bryan to stop his on lead barking
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >