Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Pulling, whining, and yelping on the lead

Hi hoping some one can give me some advice!!

When we are walking to the park, Shadow pulls constantly on his lead, whines and yelps because he's so excited, he's the most friendly dog about but some people are put off by him because he makes such a noise!! We are away to attend puppy classes in a bid to help, I've also read that I should let him go to the end of his lead once he reaches it stop and turn round and start walking, once he catches up tell him he's a good boy and give him a treat, I've been doing this for a while, and apart from looking like a moron it doesn't seem to be working!!

Thanks
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I used that technique on my dog and it worked but it took a lot of time and effort, plus mine is a lab

What about trying to distract him with a ball or treats to get his attention on you rather than everyhitng else.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I used that technique on my dog and it worked but it took a lot of time and effort, plus mine is a lab

What about trying to distract him with a ball or treats to get his attention on you rather than everyhitng else.
Good ideas there, but the training your doing does take time....sometimes a lot of time, but he;ll get there. Good luck at classes. xx
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:46 PM
That is a technique that can work well but it can a while for the penny to drop. The other one that works is to make him sit everytime he pulls in the slightest. Again it can take ages but it does work.

Also, he knows where he is going and that adds to the excitement. Forget the park for while and practice techniques while street walking different routes so he has no idea where he is headed.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Hi hoping some one can give me some advice!!

When we are walking to the park, Shadow pulls constantly on his lead, whines and yelps because he's so excited, he's the most friendly dog about but some people are put off by him because he makes such a noise!! We are away to attend puppy classes in a bid to help, I've also read that I should let him go to the end of his lead once he reaches it stop and turn round and start walking, once he catches up tell him he's a good boy and give him a treat, I've been doing this for a while, and apart from looking like a moron it doesn't seem to be working!!

Thanks
I would be inclined to NOT giving him a treat as he may think he is being rewarded for the pulling, in fact I would nt even tell him 'good boy', I would say good boy and treat when you are walking in the right direction to the park and he isn't pulling, then is the time to praise and treat.

If you dog is pulling and getting excited and the other method isnt working, have you tried stopping andputting him into a sit until he is quiet and calm and then moving on again? both the above methods take time and there may be days you don't even get to the park lol.

How old is Shadow and what breed is he?

PS - I have just looked at your profile and read that your dog is a collie. If you are having trouble in getting him to stop pulling you could tried a head collar on him, either a Halti/Gentle leader/Canny Collar/Dogmatic - lots of people have success with these butif you dog is young I would try the training route first.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:44 PM
We bought him a harness and he does walk better on it, I think we try another route to the park tonight!! Thanks for all the advice
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Both Teddysmum and Stephanie have the right idea.

I agree with the sitting method. You need to walk him on a short leash. Use a choker. If the constriction in the collar does not effect him then give him a light touch with your foot to get his attention. It will draw his attention back to you. I always do this with mine. You need to show him who's boss.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I personally wouldnt use a full choke chain as they are not good for the dogs neck especially if you have a puller and if you dont know how to use it properly, however a half check is a good collar as it can't actually 'choke' the dog, it can only close as far as the D rings - here is what a half check looks like:

I am surprised you find he walks better in a harness, harness normally increase a dogs pulling power as it makes them use their chest, hence pulling more but if it works then thats great.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Agreed on all accounts Stephanie.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Had him on the harness and short lead tonight and took a different route, he pulled for the first 15 minutes then he started to calm down also tried the sitting method that was fun!!!! i think i might look into the half check collars as i wasn't keen on a choke chain.... I was also looking at a Halti harness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >