View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2008, 07:58 AM

'How Dogs Learn' article (Link provided by Wysiwyg)

This article is on the same site as another article to which Wysiwyg posted a link. Thank you Wysiwyg!

I think it gives a interesting insight into the way dogs learn. By understanding how they learn we are better able to teach them the behaviour we wish them to adopt.

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...ogs-learn.html

The explanation of how dogs learn ties in very well with the use of clicker training (although it isn't mentioned it ) and it demonstrates that it is possible to train a dog without resorting to heavy handed measures like smacking and ecollars ( such methods are counter productive, cruel and totally unnecessary IMO) .
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Oooohhhh Thank you very much for the link

I am in the middle of a course and have written about how dogs learn and couldn't find where I had got the info from

But this has been a great help so Thank you
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Nice article. I read another article on there about chasing; will start to use those methods on Willow who is an avid chaser of all that moves.

Thanks for posting.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I was very impressed with link I think I gave out reppies for that, if I didn't I meant to!
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Nice article. I read another article on there about chasing; will start to use those methods on Willow who is an avid chaser of all that moves.

Thanks for posting.
Perfect timing too, have just posted the chasing page on an agility group where someone is asking about e-collars to stop her dog chasing, [ squirrels ], - hopefully it will be enough to stop her believing that shocking her dog is the way to go !

Thanks Mini and Wys
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
This article is on the same site as another article to which Wysiwyg posted a link. Thank you Wysiwyg!
Aw cheers Minihaha!

I really like this guy's articles. He has a ton of experience and I've not seen any sites which share information so well for dog owners as his does, regarding good training and effective kind methods

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Perfect timing too, have just posted the chasing page on an agility group where someone is asking about e-collars to stop her dog chasing, [ squirrels ], - hopefully it will be enough to stop her believing that shocking her dog is the way to go !

Thanks Mini and Wys
I hope the person takes notice Patch! I do think it helps that the author of the article is an ex police dog instructor as that sometimes gives more credence (to some people) who may not otherwise consider educating themselves regarding this positive type of more advanced training
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I read another article on there about chasing; will start to use those methods on Willow who is an avid chaser of all that moves.
I read about getting your dog to chase you on the 'Natural Training' website. I got Bryan to chase me in the cow field and he nipped the back of my leg
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I read about getting your dog to chase you on the 'Natural Training' website. I got Bryan to chase me in the cow field and he nipped the back of my leg

Wys
x
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Wys
Rep points for the chasing article big time! Actually, not big-time at all, as I am quite new and apparently weighting is given to post count .
I have cross-posted chasing link to FL groups, hope that is OK.
Thank you
Mary
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >