register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you prefer a training club to cover all aspects of training or just one
cover ringcraft, obed beg to class C , pet obed, puppy play group 26 76.47%
obedience only 4 11.76%
ringcraft only 0 0%
puppy play group only 0 0%
other 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I forgot to add I do clicker training too,,, I do a set clicker intro when people start, then we use it in all other classes {should the handler want to} its intresting to see how much a clicker can / will be used in all aspects of training, some people rarely use it some more often,{ but when people hit a snag I often say ok lets break this down and see if a clicker will solve it} which often it does x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Sounds like there is some good classes there
I voted other because I am more leaning towards the agility and heelwork to music side of things
The class I go to does a bit of everything (not really ringcraft) and even with a bad scouthall floor you can teach some handling things , sendaways and tunnels and things
I also like that it teaches tricks too - Ben would get really bored with just heeling or something (TBH he does not consider walking to heel work and he dances around like a nutter but tricks and agility training get full focus)
Hi, Things like sendaways are covered in the obed side of things, A recalls, right through to scent discrimination and so on, I think many people feel obedience is wandering round a hall with a dog bored at heal,{if your lucky} if not one spinning round, then again I guess at the begining, it can be a bit like that,,, more so as the basics have to be in there to move on to other stuff,
I guess so many clubs do come across as such,, I know in years gone by I often felt like that when attending other classes,,,
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I`d like clubs which do Obedience and ringcraft to teach people to walk their dogs on the right as well as the left - pesky `left side only` training is a swine for us poor haggard agility instructors to sort some times
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I`d like clubs which do Obedience and ringcraft to teach people to walk their dogs on the right as well as the left - pesky `left side only` training is a swine for us poor haggard agility instructors to sort some times
I have members who have dogs trained to work on both sides, but for most it takes them to master one side, lol, it took me a while to get to grips with it,,, its quite strange to start with,, kaos is still learning lefty though,, I must make more time to work with him,, makes a dog nice and well balanced though doing both sides, when you think about it It should be second nature to us horsey folk,, but for me its not with dogs practice makes perfect I guess,,,,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Because I lead walk 2 big dogs, one has to learn to walk on the `wrong` as well as the `right` side. They don`t seem to have a problem with this. With my last GSD who liked HTM, we used Heel for left and Side for right - and she got it right so they must know right from left.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Because I lead walk 2 big dogs, one has to learn to walk on the `wrong` as well as the `right` side. They don`t seem to have a problem with this. With my last GSD who liked HTM, we used Heel for left and Side for right - and she got it right so they must know right from left.
theres my challenge for the week, doing both sides, I normaly when walking two rotties still have both on my left side,,, but to be honest Vinnie the goofer does tend to shift around, First thing before training him both sides I must learn him to walk in a straight line, you aint see anything like it,, hes a numpty,,lol, Why oh Why cant they all be like royce or kaos,,,a doddle to work with,,, lol
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4