Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I really hope it works out for you, but please watch your dog for any signs of stress or clues that he is not liking this type of treatment/training. I'm going to comment on your post, but purely to put the other side. There are so many ways to 'train' dogs and I fully believe that there is no one right or wrong method, you have to do what is right for you and your dog in a given situation as long as there is no pain or fear involved. I truly do hope it works...and am commenting merely to put the other side.

AS I say I wish you luck. Everyone is different and every relationship with a dog is different. I just feel that this type of 'training' inhibits something in that relationship, so it's not for me. That doesn't mean it doesn't work though. :smt002
You and I were typing at the same time - I agree with what you are thinking
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I totally agree with Patch and Ramble on this

I think Jan Fennell has made alot of money from using an outdated "dominance" theory. Dogs are dogs, People are people , wolves are wolves.

To be honest I do know of someone who has done this technique with their dog,and she ended up with a depressed soulless robot of a dog. The worse bit, if you do this you have to continue for the dogs life.No spontaniety with your dog

I love my dogs, and I do love it when they plonk a paw on me, or nudge my hand, now JF would say they are trying to achieve world domination,but they are just dogs saying hi, what you doing. Having dogs is about creating a trusting bond,and a friendship. JF methods are too clinical.

Totally agree about avoiding dogs, that has to be a recipe for disaster, dogs are sociable, yes, it may be annoying if you are walking down the street and your dog wants to say hi, to another and starts acting up, but it is what dogs do.

The whole "hunt" thing is baloney,I wonder if your dog is behaving on his walks because he wonders what is going on and is confussed. And many a kong has saved someones furniture

I really do hope this method works for you, there are IMO better training methods. I am not having a go at you, I just not a big JF fan I really do mean it, when I say Good Luck xx
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Guys, your responses are fantastic, your reasoning so simple.

I love my dog to bits, and already this system is making ME feel sad. I want to cuddle him, fight with him (and boy do we ruck), give him Kongs because he LOVES them, look into his eyes, make a fuss of him after work etc etc. He's my buddy, and I want to be his buddy back.

I will be having words with my wife, and printing off your replies (if I'm that brave...my wife is MY Alpha )

I'll stick with some of the suggestions, the best being the dog calmling down somewhat before he go out for our walk.

However, he will still get his Kongs...mainly because I've just bought three for freezing! Maybe JF will refund me the Kong's:smt002

Thanks again folks.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Hammer, I for one am so pleased to see your response and I`m sure your OH will understand when she reads how flawed the JF guff is from so many very experienced people

If you are likely to see the JF minion again, show him this pic of a happy dog being cuddled, [ one of mine as it happens - and she is`nt planning world domination any time soon ], but stand well back in case the blokes head explodes in a fit of apoplexy, he probably does`nt realise what a real bond looks like when it stares him in the face

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 01:52 PM
I have to say,,,,most of what you have been taught is basic, rules kinda stuff, some of its concerning,,,eg as others mention avoiding problem areas,,,I always feel its best to confront the problem head on, mabey its due to having horses, eg, if your horse is scared by somit, work on it untill its not, I use the same principle with dogs, if they are scared,. head strong, aggressive in a situation, then I expose them to it more and more untill its not an issue, you need to stick within the dogs comfort zone though dont go at them too fast, but normaly you can change a dogs attitude to most situations in a few days,

I would love to know how much the chap charged you? are you seeing him again? tbh you could have got all the advice given to you by him on hear,,,but you wouldnt have the added thing of some to show you the methods, not that they need showing though,

shona x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:04 PM
here are some photos of my world dominators having a hug,,,omg,,,rotties being hugged,,,what next,,,will he go on to savage someone,,,I truely doubt it,

I think so long as you put the basic stuff in, watch you dogs closely for any signs or changes in behaviour, train them regularly,,,then a bit of affection is just fine and dandy, I wouldnt let my son cuddle a dog I couldnt trust now would I, he has always had huge dogs round him from the day he was born, and guess what not one has ever as much as scratched him,,,ever,

gordon my son and vinnie, who he now says is his dog,

steven and vinnie,,

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have to say,,,,most of what you have been taught is basic, rules kinda stuff, some of its concerning,,,eg as others mention avoiding problem areas,,,I always feel its best to confront the problem head on, mabey its due to having horses, eg, if your horse is scared by somit, work on it untill its not, I use the same principle with dogs, if they are scared,. head strong, aggressive in a situation, then I expose them to it more and more untill its not an issue, you need to stick within the dogs comfort zone though dont go at them too fast, but normaly you can change a dogs attitude to most situations in a few days,

I would love to know how much the chap charged you? are you seeing him again? tbh you could have got all the advice given to you by him on hear,,,but you wouldnt have the added thing of some to show you the methods, not that they need showing though,

shona x
The consultation fee is in the first post Hammer opened the thread with - make sure you`re sitting down when you see it

Your pic of Vinnie with Steven - fab photo

By the way, have you noticed any answerphone messages being left for Vinnie by my Silk ?
She keeps woofing things in her sleep which sound a bit like ` today the world, tomorrow the Universe, as soon as I`ve recruited my Generals`.

Yours,
Worried of Colchester

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The consultation fee is in the first post Hammer opened the thread with - make sure you`re sitting down when you see it

Your pic of Vinnie with Steven - fab photo

By the way, have you noticed any answerphone messages being left for Vinnie by my Silk ?
She keeps woofing things in her sleep which sound a bit like ` today the world, tomorrow the Universe, as soon as I`ve recruited my Generals`.

Yours,
Worried of Colchester

:smt005 :smt005 Gawd I needed a good laugh,,,fank oo, :smt005 :smt005
just off to see the cost,,,

if you think on it the photo of vinnie and steven,,,well vinnies in a submissive position, does he look ready to take the world on,,,I fink not, he looks ready for his twummy wub,,,
I dont agree with baby baby ing dogs but when a dog knows its place its fine to be a bit wummphy with them, lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:32 PM
WTF,,£150 FOR THAT,
,,im defo well to cheap lol
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
awwwwwwwww lovely pics Shona. awwwwwwwwww.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >