Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
prettypolly
New Member!
Female 

24-04-2007, 10:49 PM

"Cocking" his leg

We have a 4 month old Yorkie, I was just wondering when he will start to cock his leg.
We have a Staffie and try to walk them together hoping he might copy but all he wants to do is play
I don't mind just the kid's keep asking me so I told them I know somewhere that people would know
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Some dogs can take years, Storm my old lab was about 4/5, Jake has always done it and this pic is of Star doing it for the first time last month, he was 3
Nuash GSPs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2007, 10:52 PM
There is no set age my pup has just turned 9 months and has just started lifting his but his dad didn't till he was over a year
Nicky
prettypolly
New Member!
Female 

24-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Thankyou both of you at least I have an answer for the kid's now

Lovely pic and dogs Stormey
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Kinda bemused why you particularly want him to, as it can be a pain in the backside lol! Dogs that don't lift their legs are less likely to "christen" anything you leave within reach! (One of the many reasons our family prefer bitches (spayed of course))
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Every dog is an individual so timing will vary. My JRT was cocking his leg full time at 4 months old but that is very young other dogs can be a year or more and some never do.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 07:32 AM
all my dogs have been doing it from 7/8 months. they are parson russells and jrts hope that helps.

sam
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Well I have 4 males and all of them were so different - LOL - as already stated all dogs are different.

Max and Angus both were cocking their legs full time by 6 months.

Charlie - is now 2 and still only does it now and again
Hamish - will be 2 in July and again doesnt hardly cock his leg - if he is needing a pee he squats right down like a girl - I mean really squats!!! So I don't think he will ever cock his leg to relieve himself

Like others have said can be a right pain when they start as they like to do it ALL the time - but only Max really does that
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Some dogs can take years, Storm my old lab was about 4/5, Jake has always done it and this pic is of Star doing it for the first time last month, he was 3
only a dog lover would take a pic of their dog doing it first time - or get all excited!!! Just made me smile and remember each time my lot did it for the first time - gushing with excitement to my OH when I got back from the walk!!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
only a dog lover would take a pic of their dog doing it first time - or get all excited!!! Just made me smile and remember each time my lot did it for the first time - gushing with excitement to my OH when I got back from the walk!!!
Pure luck I got the pic, he hates water but was edging to the side with coco charging behind him so I have visions of him ending up in the water, when i got the camera out thats when he did it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >