Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I also don't subscribe to any one particular theory, but mix and match to suit me and my dogs. My dogs sleep in my room, don't have to follow me through a door and eat before, after or at the same time as me depending on what is happening that day. They do however have to have manners and be well behaved. This is gained through lots of fun training, mild aversives, lavish praise, treats, toys, herding - whatever suits the dog
Same here!

I've never really conscribed to any training theory, I've just read everything and decided for myself if it was worth consideration.

I guess I work on the "nothing in life is free" principle mostly. All of the dogs in my house have to work towards anything they want/get. I think it teaches good manners and can be changed to suit any dog. That I think is essential as all dogs are different and will need to learn/be taught in a different way.
opokki
New Member!
Female 

24-12-2006, 09:29 AM
My training is based primarily on learning theory without much focus on pack theory. I believe in management, consistency, setting clear boundaries, NILIF, and setting dogs up to succeed.

Other than a light tap on the rump or shoulder to redirect attention, I don't use physical corrections. I interrupt and redirect undesirable behaviors, use no reward markers, body blocks, and negative punishment.

I allow my dogs on furniture and beds and don't care if they go out the door before or after me as long as they wait for my release. Sometimes they eat before me and other times after me. They are allowed to move ahead of me during walks as long as they don't pull.
Duffy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Be open to new ideas, if they work use them, if they don't then disgard them. Never lose your temper, be kind at all times and always put the dogs needs first. Be consistant and considerate and enjoy the short time we have with each of them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Some really good advice on this thread I think.

One of the good points is the "consistency" theory, be consistent in everything, i.e. if you don't want your dogs on the furniture then teach them that it's a definite no-no. They won't understand that one minute it's ok, but then when you don't want them up there it's not! Same with the bed, but I must admit I've been guilty of that one!! Luckily for me though, they soon get off when I say off, but imo it's much better to lay down their boundaries and stick to them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes consistency is the key. Also make sure you use the right words. I had one man complain that his staffy wouldn't get off the bed when told. I said do you say down, he said yes, I said does she lie down, he said yes, I said well she's done what she's been told! You need a different command to get off things so try off for off furniture and people etc and down to lie down. You could see the light dawn in his eyes! No more confusion for his dog!
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Good point Becky Off is off and down is down!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Oh well I am very naughty because I rarely use one word commands, we have get down, get off, lie down, find it, pick it up, where is it, this way, see ya, come here, etc and they fully understand each and every command.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 02:29 PM
You have probably been very consistant in using each phrase. I use 'with me' as a recall rather than come!
Becky
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Yep I think you have to be consistant enough with 'each' command, and once it's learned there's no reason why you can't teach another command for the same desired action... Rocky knows spoken words and hand actions for almost everything he's been taught.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah I am very consistant but do think it is important to use words and phrases that you naturally use, rather than try to use a recognised command just because everyone else does. I also use hand signal for sit and down, rollover etc.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >