View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi Sandy I am so glad he is coming home..
I do get rather cross when people put unnecessary labels on natural canine behaviour that just requires a little training and understanding to correct.

Can I ask you please to keep us updated, I would be most grateful and it could help others with a similar problem (poor owners ).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by vansansboxers View Post
What has struck me funny( Just a pun) is they had put to sleep an older rescue lab I think due to this resource guarding, when the first child was born.
Hi, I'm really glad you have got him coming home safe. It's very hard to tell, of course, but if they've already had a dog put to sleep due to resource guarding it's possible (depending on how long they had this dog) that either it frightened them and they are now over wary or possibly doing very old fashioned things like taking the pup's bowl away to "see" if it will resource guard. All supposition of course...

With the wrong handling pups will get guardy no matter how nice they are - I've had to witness a neighbour provoking more and more guarding in his very nice BCXsibe, due entirely in his case to his listening to other dog walkers in the park.

It may be you will never know what the whole problem was/is, as pup may be fine with you and yours

If you do need a behaviourist, and aren't sure who to go for, Google for James O' Heare and he will I'm sure be able to help as he's on your side of the pond

Wys
x
vansansboxers
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Hello all,
Puppy is now home ,I have lost a lot of sleep over this one, not knowing what kind of monster was coming home. Well you couldnt want a better puppy! He is not showing any of the resource gaurding the "Owners" have told me about, I placed food down for him while the old owner was here, because this was one issue that caused him to growl and snap at them, and stuck my hand into the bowl while the puppy was eating, he actually moved from the bowl, Tell me if I am wrong ,but this puppy is not food aggressive, I then took toys from him, nothing,I put the leash and collar on him and made him sit and nothing, I picked him up from the couch and put him on the floor, nothing,these are all of the things that he snapped and bit over.Like I told the guy,Im just Happy to have him back home and we will find a better home for him,It shocked him that I still had his brother and havent sold him, I said "there is nothing wrong with him I just havent found the perfect forever home for beetle yet,and until I do he'll stay with us. And the same gose for this puppy." Aaron also told me he belived the trainer about the puppy because she threw a toy on the ground and when he went for it she clapped her hands loudly, and the pup stopped ,turned around and looked at her, and she said that was a sign of aggression,that he should have cowled on his stomach. Correct me please if I'm wrong but wouldnt you say when he went for the toy and she clapped her hands and he stopped and turned and looked at her wouldnt you say he was attentive, wanting to know what she wanted? I just dont know anymore. But he has been introduced back into the pack and everything is going fine. Thanks everyone for the advice on what to ask this trainer as she got pretty upset with me when I asked her questions. (she works for an animal shelter) Big Huge thanks
Sandy
Meg
Supervisor

08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Sandy I would say back with you is the best place for this little one..
Aaron also told me he believed the trainer about the puppy because she threw a toy on the ground and when he went for it she clapped her hands loudly, and the pup stopped ,turned around and looked at her, and she said that was a sign of aggression,that he should have cowled on his stomach
Not sure what sort of trainer this is but if a puppy crawled on its stomach I would be really concerned

I nervous puppy would rush away from the sound, (fight or flight response ) a normally well balanced puppy would be curious and turn to look..this sounds like a normal puppy.

I think the puppy may need observing for a while in case the owners have done anything to cause problems, then I hope the little one finds a lovely new home
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-12-2006, 08:56 PM
He sounds like a normal puppy to me he just needs the right owners
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I am so glad the puppy is doing well and is back with you!
The trainer has some 'different' theories and practices! I am by no means an expert on training, but the clapping theory sounded bizzare to me!
I hope all goes well!
vansansboxers
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Yep,thats what I said when I saw him and did what they said they done, and yes he will be here for a while before we place him just to make sure there are no ill effects from his little 5 week "adventure" then he can go to a better home. This just gose to show you even with the tough screening we do people have a way to get around you, at least I got the puppy back before any real damage could have occured and he can now be properly taught what behaviour will and will not be tolerated, and then be placed with the "Right" forever Home.
Thanks to all,you have been a blessing to us!
Sandy
VanSan's Boxers
P.S. They called him Mosley,He dosnt come to that, so I changed his name to K.D.( For Killer Dog )which he comes to!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by vansansboxers View Post
P.S. They called him Mosley,He dosnt come to that, so I changed his name to K.D.( For Killer Dog )which he comes to!
I'm so glad to hear he's back with you.
Frankly, the trainer involved for this short period with your pup showed signs of real stupidity. It's not a matter of opinion even - a trainer, paid to help dogs and owners, should learn about dogs and what they do. This one knows apparently absolutely nothing!!!

I am concerned about other dogs and owners she comes into contact with, as no doubt other owners will believe her and they and their dogs will suffer because of it. If she is a member of any organisation, it may be worth reporting her to them.

It's heart warming to read how much you care for your pup - and great to know he's now safe

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
As a trainer if a pup cowered on the ground if I clapped my hands I would be very concerned about his noise sensitivity issues, It is not a reaction I would want nor aim for in training, she shounds like a clown, to make a dog fearful of hand clapping is an accident waiting to happen, eg, out with dog at dog show, applause from a ring when someone wins your dog is in a small area between two rings he could be so threatend by lack of space and what he sees as a threat (clapping) panic and bite someone, im not sure this woman should be giving advice to dog owners, frankly I dont think she has a clue
vansansboxers
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
That is my point that I tried to tell these people. We show our dogs and like I told him when he told me he belived what this trainer said,he just wouldnt belive me,I think he thought we just wanted him to take the puppy back, but he had a very big surprise when I both said No problem we will take him back and after a trip to the vets to rule out any physical problems that may contribute to this so called resource guarding, because frankly he shows no sign of ant kind of aggression that your wife and your trainer has spoken of, and i will side on the puppy's side of this because I think he is the innocent one.
Sandy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >