View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 11:56 AM
i used a behaviorist not long after getting Bruno for his dog/dog aggression and was utterly disappointed, mostly as I felt they didnt even attempt to recognise Bruno's problem just did their "general" approach and then tried to tell me that it was my fault for letting him on the sofa and for feeding him first at night ???

he then tried to introduce his collie who just stared bruno out the whole time and now bruno has a particular dislike to ALL collies !!!

I have managed to get bruno to accept two dogs myself just by gradual introduction and he seems to be fear/lead aggressive rather than out and out doggy aggressive and they never even touched on that.,

I paid £180 and didnt even bother going back to them for any further assistance as just felt they didnt understand Bruno at all.

It has completely put me off using another behavioursit now.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Brundog

Sounds like you may have used the same behaviourist that a freind of mine used, sorry you have had no luck and are £180.00 out of pocket also. Part of the reason I started the post was due finding out about the cost and also how relevant and useful the advice given was. It seems that often its money for nothing, although some posts have been quite possitive, if your ever over this way I have a sweeter than sweet rotty bitch that even the most aggressive dogs seem to get along with ( she just will not show aggression no matter whats in front of her)after a few min of doing what they normaly do they seem to stop as there is not a reaction
even if they will not play with her they do a good job of acting like there is not another dog there, rather that barking and lunging, your more than welcome to take your dog a stroll with mine,
good luck and thanks for the post..
shona
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-11-2006, 01:56 PM
hi dougiepit,
I did not breed Bella I purchased her from a breeder when she was 9 weeks old, and we had her for 16 months. I think her problem was caused through breeding. I did contact the breeder when we realized Bella had a problem and the answer we got was that it he is not responsibility due to us not contacting him earlier. Which we could not do as we didn't know we had any problems.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 02:24 PM
thanks gaz
Its a pity the breeder could not offer any help.
At SKC champ show whilst waiting to go into the ring A lab breeder had started chating to me about kaos. we got onto the subject of peoples perseption of rotts around kids and so on, and to her credit she said that she had noticed a decline in lab temprament over the years, she mentioned fear, aggression and a general tendency towards hyper active being the problem, not so much in the working labs but the show labs, I thought it was very honest of her.
I take it you show labs? may bump into you at a show one day
thanks shona
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi Brundog

Sounds like you may have used the same behaviourist that a freind of mine used, sorry you have had no luck and are £180.00 out of pocket also. Part of the reason I started the post was due finding out about the cost and also how relevant and useful the advice given was. It seems that often its money for nothing, although some posts have been quite possitive, if your ever over this way I have a sweeter than sweet rotty bitch that even the most aggressive dogs seem to get along with ( she just will not show aggression no matter whats in front of her)after a few min of doing what they normaly do they seem to stop as there is not a reaction
even if they will not play with her they do a good job of acting like there is not another dog there, rather that barking and lunging, your more than welcome to take your dog a stroll with mine,
good luck and thanks for the post..
shona
thats lovely - i may well take you up on it someday - must get the baba out the way first though !!!!

dani
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm just thinking about prices - I know one who charges around £90 in the London area - she used to charge less but found that in charging this amount, clients tended to be much more committed to the behaviour programmes she advised

I believe, although not sure, that top behaviourist might charge the £150 ish mark, but it does vary a lot.

A good behaviourist is really worth it - for the price of a meal out, (OK a very nice meal out ) the owner could get very real help that solves a problem, esp. if the owners contact a behaviourist earlier rather than later

Also there's a big difference between a behaviourist who has had 6 months experience, never owner their own dog and done a 2 month course in behaviour, to one who has done their level best to upgrade their knowledge, and done a degree course plus a lot of hands on work with dogs. Both can be "behaviourists"

At one time, not so long ago, there was talk of only vets being allowed to be behaviourists. I'm glad they didn't go down this route as most vets have their hands full and inmy view would not havethe time to give in depthservice.

Good behaviourists might work on vet referral only as many symptoms of problem behaviour can be due to a medical problem. I was surprised to hear of one dog who chased, doing it due to a brain tumour which pressed on a particular part of the brain!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
A good behaviourist is really worth it - for the price of a meal out, (OK a very nice meal out )
Remind me never to invite you over for lunch!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Prices can also be deceptive. Some charge by the visit, others by the 'problem', ie any follow-up's are included in the initial cost.

There are a lot of hidden costs. Insurance - all behaviourists should carry full professional indemntity as well as public liability insurance, membership fees of professional organisations, ongoing education costs, transport or hall hire costs and, of course, they also have to eat occasionally

As with any service, some offer a better quality than others (think plumbers, builders, electricians etc). Unfortunately, as previously said, anyone can say they are a behaviourist and set up practice tomorrow. There are those who have read books that advise a blanket rank reduction programme (eat before the dog, no dogs on furniture etc), use it and try to cash in. They will have some limited success, but not much and will soon go out of business as word gets around.

There really isn't a blanket approach that can be used as a cure-all for every dog. If there were, a single post on the internet would mean there were no more dog problems and no need for behaviourists.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Remind me never to invite you over for lunch!

Wys
x
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3