View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 01:53 PM

advice on training dog for disabled girl.

Hi all, Has anyone ever trained a dog for the disabled?

I was approched over a week ago by a woman who has a disabled daugter, her daughter led a full and active life untill three years ago when she was struck by a motorbike whilst on holiday she was 14 at the time and has just turned 17, from what i have gathered so far she is still able to think as a normal teenager although she is now unable to talk.
but can comunicate with a spell board, she has no spinal support and can move her right arm and foot but not her left. she has to have 24hr care. just wondered if there had been anyone who had knowlage in this field. i have began with the clicker and although its not how the clicker is meant to be used i have given her a clicker in order to get the dogs attention when needed. the dog is a five month old male dobermann with a great temprament and personality.
all help welcome
X shona X
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 03:29 PM
aw shona, the poor girl, it must be so hard for her.

I really hope you get some answers and can help her, perhaps a different instrument would be better for her to get the dog's attention rather than a clicker? That way the clicker can be used to train the dog as I know it's the easiest way to train most dogs to such a high level of training as to help a disabled person.

Maybe a silent whistle would be better, she could hang it around her neck and that way, even if the dog wasn't in the same room, it could hear her.

I will look out for answers as I am trying to train my daft mutt to help me too.

I don't know how strong she is, but I know that dogs for the disabled often train their dogs to put their front paws on the owner's knees when giving them something so that they are closer to them, failing that, make sure anything the dog picks up make sure it is dropped on her knee, that way she doesn't have to move to get it from the dog.

I have trained Takara to bring me things and as I'm disabled - though not as badly as this girl, obviously - I can give some ideas of what would be useful to train him.

Best of luck and pm me if you need me xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 03:31 PM
just to add, if she can't use a whistle, perhaps a remote control ultrasonic trainer would be useful, one that gives the same sort of noise as a whistle but just by pushing a button...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
just to add, if she can't use a whistle, perhaps a remote control ultrasonic trainer would be useful, one that gives the same sort of noise as a whistle but just by pushing a button...
thanks lottie, not sure that she can use a whistle, still in the stage of finding out her capabilitys but the ultra sonic is a good idea, will def be in touch with regards to some aspects. again thanks soooo much will let you know how its going each week.
shona
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

18-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Have you thought of contacting dogsforthedisabled.org I would think that they should be able to give useful advicew. Kath
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Good advice Kath

Also there is SupportDogs and Canine Partners - I'm sure someone there would give some advice
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 04:43 PM
does anyone know of any charity that could poss give the dog training?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Try contacting your local round table. They are normally on the look out for good causes.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:03 PM
This is the website for Support Dogs which Wysiwyg mentioned http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/content.php

They do train peoples own pets, [ subject to behavioural and veterinary evaluation ], and there is no charge for it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Try contacting your local round table. They are normally on the look out for good causes.
thanks would never have given that a thought
X shona X
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >