View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 08:43 AM

Naughty dog today!!! aaarrrggghhh (ignoring commands, mouthing, jumping up)

Hi guys

i have been off work yesterday and today as i have displaced a rib. (ouch)

Well since being at home all day Otis (19month sbt) is really playing me up. I thought we had got over it, but the hyper demon pup is back!! he has resorted yet again to ignoring me completely whilst when my husband comes home otis is very obidient to him. when i get firm with otis he just tries to bite my socks off my feet and when i shout no in a firm voice, he literally jumps like tigger up to my arms and grabs them. I know he is not biting to hurt me, cos with those teeth he definately could. It is more like a 'dont u dare tell me off mum - i am not going for time out'.

help!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Sorry he is trying it on with you! Go back to a few basics with him ! They can revert back to a change in circumstances - good luck x
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks.

I am trying the basics. Just got him out of the kitchen after 20mins and he has just done the same thing. ran round the garden like a mad dog, i call him in, he starts mouthing me, i tell him to go in kitchen, he jumps up and grabs my arm. I am not giving up but i am getting more flipping bruises!!!

other days he is the most loving dog in the world
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear youre having problems - I dont really know what to suggest cos Gadget mouths us all the time & we just let him!
Have you tried doing a search?
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2006, 05:51 PM
HI there

This seems like attention seeking behaviour. I would just stop what you are doing when he does this and walk the other way. No looking at him, shouting at him, etc., etc., just ignore him and walk out the room. He will soon learn that this type of behaviour gets ignored. No matter what you do if he is behaving like this, any type of response is reward for the behaviour. I hope this makes sense.

If any of my dogs do this as puppies I just walk away. I have walked away with a huge bracco puppy attached to my leg but just kept walking. She soon got the message.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Annie
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 06:17 PM
How's that little darling of yours this evening ?
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 06:47 PM
he has beem so naughty all day. as soon as my husband walks in the door - he becomes the perfect dog!!!

we are off to dog class in a moment. again - he is the perfect dog there. when i explain to the trainer, he thinks i am exagerating as otis is so well behaved.

do u think otis might not like me?
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by otis
do u think otis might not like me?
Probably just the opposite - it seems like he thinks you're his playmate & not a figure of authority - and your OH is 'head of the pack' so he behaves for him.
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi there

Don't know about Otis thinking OH is "head of the pack" as the pack theory on dog behaviour is based on a flawed scientific method!!! Dogs don't see us as other dogs, they know we are "different" to them!! I definitely think this is an attention seeking behaviour and because he gets attention from you he keeps doing it.

Obviously Otis ain't stupid because he knows when he has to behave properly; he just likes to wind you up and he definitely seems to be doing that. Ignoring the behaviour is the only way that it will stop; any "reward" albeit negative is still reward for the behaviour. Its the only way you will get him to stop - short of making him depressed by doing the old eating before him; not allowed in certain areas etc., etc., dominance theory stuff.

Annie
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Otis mum sorry to hear your not very well hope you fell better soon. I can't offer any advice but I just wanted you to know your not alone . Angel is a 15 month old sbt and is just the same. My partner Lee is alway's saying that im not firm enough with her but I AM !! She doesn't seem to take any notice of me. She got my wrist in her mouth and twisted it behind my back and she wouldn't let go, im also covered in bruises and my socks are suffering. I love her to death but when she's excited she goes mental.
Let's hope someone can give us some advice because walking away isn't an option when youv'e got a staffie hanging off your arm or leg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >