Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
river
New Member!
Male 

22-07-2006, 07:47 AM

puppy weight gain - Leonbergers

hi,does anyone know what is the optimum weight for both male and female leonbergers at age 2 months,4 months,and 6 months?very large breed. thank's
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2006, 07:51 AM
now your asking.
they say leo pups should gain between 1.5 and 2 kg a week ( 3 or 4 lb)
it is difficult to say because it also depends on the lines and frame type of the dogs.
my lad was 7 kg or 14 lb @ 7 weeks and my girl was 6 kg or 12 lb @ 8 weeks so as you can see the boys are bigger right from the start.
my boy was approx 26 kg at 4 months holly was alot lighter.
i know he was 33 kg at 5 months and now he is 1 of the bigger lads at 75kg.
remember they keep growing and changing in frame till around 18 months but are not adults till at least 2 yrs.
some still gain upto 4 yrs.
river
New Member!
Male 

22-07-2006, 08:11 AM
thank's leo,came in yesterday at 24.1kg's at vets. dob apr. 3.trying to get diet right.has been treated for stomach bug with antibiotic's and just getting other opions as to healthy weight.where is home? waited over 2 years for pup and well worth it.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2006, 08:19 AM
im in the uk.
if your looking for a good diet for leo's i would advice you to get the best you can, they need a good diet with the rate of growth they have also to help give them good strong bones to carry the weight as they grow.
another thing is i kept both of mine on puppy food untill 2 yrs then wean them onto adult.
from the dogs i know and see you can tell in their final frame/size if they have been on the best from the start.
alot of leo's also do well on barf feeding (raw food) and they can have upset tums esp as babys.
my dogs are both fed on hills natures choice for the giants to take in all their needs.
i am glad you have finally got your leo.
there is usually lists over here and you can wait but not usually 2 yrs.

so that tells me to be 24 @ 4 months you have a lad.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Are you in contact with your breeder? He/she, knowing their lines, should be able to advise you on diet, weight gain, growth, etc. for your particular pup/s
river
New Member!
Male 

22-07-2006, 08:32 AM
leo,please send e-mail address as i will say more.my shopping around was after speaking to the best people!well worth the wait.....send e-mail ta