View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2006, 08:41 AM

Recall gone wrong!! Is it just stroppy teenager syndrome??

Bobby is now almost 5 months old and up until now has been brilliant with recall.

However, he has never been too keen on walking on the lead and I think this may be the cause of the problem. He knows that sometimes when he comes back, I put the lead on, so now he just doesn't come back - well, not close enough to touch him.

What do I do????

I've always called him in a happy way and avoided grabbing his collar, as taught in our training class, and I carry enough Jerky with me to feed a pack of dogs. I've tried making a big fuss of Toby to make him jealous (which worked for a while) but I seem to be fighting a losing battle.

I don't want to have to keep him on the lead all the time, but I just can't risk letting him off at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.......
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I think it is less 'stroppy teenager' than the blossoming of confidence combined with the 'call of the wild' that many puppies go through. Up until now you have been his security, now he is feeling more assured and less reluctant to wander away. It is important that you carry on training through this phase and equally important that your dog is not allowed off-lead exercise unless in a secure area until the recall is reliable. This Dogweb article may be of help/interest to you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/tra...call_8049.html
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Brilliant article - think I will use that too!
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, great article, thanks shadowboxer....

Could I ask you a question regarding my lead theory??

Whenever Bobby sees me fetch his lead he runs and hides. I've never dragged him out of his hiding place but persuaded him to come out using treats.
If he hides, should I leave him and just take Toby out for a walk and punish him in this way??

Thanks
Gail
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

01-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gail
Yes, great article, thanks shadowboxer....

Could I ask you a question regarding my lead theory??

Whenever Bobby sees me fetch his lead he runs and hides. I've never dragged him out of his hiding place but persuaded him to come out using treats.
If he hides, should I leave him and just take Toby out for a walk and punish him in this way??

Thanks
Gail
Thank you - I am pleased that you found the article of use

By luring/persuading using treats you are actually reinforcing this behaviour as he is being rewarded for running and hiding

I would pick up the lead and, in a happy voice, say "come on/let's go/walkies", or whatever. If he hides, ignore him and continue out the door. Hang around outside for a little while to see if he comes. If he doesn't then go for a short walk with Toby. Come back and see if he has emerged from hiding and is waiting for a walk. If he is then take him, if he isn't then do your normal walk with the other dog. I would guess that it won't take many days before he realizes that he is missing out both on treats and walks and you will have successfully broken the habit

By the way - this is not 'punishing'. Dogs should never be punished in any way, physically or emotionally. It is simply educating by allowing the dog to think for himself
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks Shadowboxer,

I did try this last night and it worked a treat. A made a big fuss of getting Toby ready for his walk (whilst Bobby was trying to hide). I got to the front door and happily said 'lets go walkies' to find Bobby at my feet, ready to go!

I've brought a lunge line home from the stables too so that I can start the recall training from scratch using a long line.

Thanks for the great advice.......
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

02-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gail
Thanks Shadowboxer,

I did try this last night and it worked a treat. A made a big fuss of getting Toby ready for his walk (whilst Bobby was trying to hide). I got to the front door and happily said 'lets go walkies' to find Bobby at my feet, ready to go!

I've brought a lunge line home from the stables too so that I can start the recall training from scratch using a long line.

Thanks for the great advice.......
Excellent - didn't take long did it

Going right back to basics on the recall is the ideal way to go about it, and the lunge line will be perfect.

Let us know how you get on
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
My meg is Great with Recall, Untill She Decides that Someone over the @ tHE corner looks More intrsting.... But 9/ TIMES OUT OF 10 SHE ALWASY Comes right back when i call....Unless Someone is walking with a Posh Coat....And It Drives me Crazzy.... Meg is 6months we are getting there.....But these people Encouraged her in the EARLY DAYS to jump But evenytime I pulled her away And Said Know they said its ok we Don,t mind.......... But hey i Did mind and know What do they Exspect....the poor dog Don,t understand That She Once Was Encouraged Know the same people Now are Complaing So im Not going to say I told ya SO......iT makes me mad....Dont these People Understand....Dog!!!!!!!!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Thank you SB, a very well written and useful article.My Ossie isn't the best at coming back when called,and after reading your article i can understand why.Bellowing COME HERE at the top of my voice certainly has had little or no effect so far.So i will be adopting your method starting tonight.Again thanks and well done.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Thank you Stamford I am sure you will find that Ossie will respond more readily if you can keep any hint of frustration/annoyance/impatience out of your voice and express real delight when he comes to you (even if he has been so naughty that you feel like strangling him ).

It does take time and patience to achieve a reliable recall, particularly with distractions, but perseverance and consistency on your part will get you both there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >