Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tirnanog
What sort of line in particular - or just ordinary roap - I dont think you mean an extension lead do you - I think this would be good - can I get in per shops - sorry to be so daft!!

Good tip ...one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever bought is a 12 foot long-line, the type used for when you are tracking with your dog in working trials. They can be bought on-line, if you cannot find one, what about a lunge line for horses, does exactly the same job and easier to find!

I use this now with Ozzy as he cannot have free run because he's had an operation and isn't fully mobile yet.

Once you have the long-line you can go to your park/beach etc and do recall training, plenty of treats and enthusiatic praise. I would start off with the least amount of distractions as possible and once getting good results introduce distractions like other dogs/people etc.

With regards to pulling, I would persevere with the Halti, Ozzy hates his too, but funnily enough when I have gravy bones in my hand he forgets to protest then!

A good training class will undoubtedly help you too, both with socialization and making Max behave with distractions all around him but in a controlled environment.

Perhaps it is a change of diet causing his tummy upset, or it could just be that he has been through a lot lately, change of environment/owners etc. I am sure he'll settle

You have a great attitude and are obviously wanting the best for Max, I am sure you will come on in leaps and bounds with his progress.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Meant to ask - what does Tirnanog mean? There is a bungalow near us with that name and I have often wondered!!
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Alisa – I think you are right he has had three houses in one week – owner to breeder to me – I have no idea but she [owner] was into designer gear – one child – maybe she was afraid little girl would catch something so she was hyper with him – and had no experience. – I like your idea with whistle – never used a proper dog one – his recall is quite good in the garden so I am building on that. Your post was great I know what it is like sometimes my spelling goes haywire!!

Ossysmom - 12 foot long-line – could you send me web address if you know it - thats what I need - we are pretty rural here not very good shops

Tirnanog = Celtic Legend The literal translation of Tir na nOg is "Land of the ever Young", where no one ever grows old, and is used to refer to the afterlife.

Tir-Na-nOg is a very beautiful land. In Tir-Na-nOg the leaves don't fall from the trees or die. The flowers bloom all year round, and you can smell the scent of them miles away. If you are ever lucky enough to go to Tir-Na-nOg you would see young, happy people there.
If you spent five days in Tir-Na-nOg, it would be about three or more years in Ireland. Tir-Na-nOg has a stream going through it and green hills all over. The people there have beautiful clothes, and you would eat off of gold plates and drink out of crystal glasses.
For entertainment the people would play tin whistles or play gold harps. The scenery is beautiful and the sun shines most of the time. The people tell wonderful exciting stories, and the children play lots of games.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Ohh sounds a lovely place!

Will have a root about and try and find a website for you for the long line
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2