View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2016, 08:36 PM

Mom dog aggressive toward her own puppy?

Hi, we had a litter of puppies back in May and kept the mom as well as one of the puppies, now 8 months old. Oliver (the puppy) lives with me and Tracey (the mom) lives with my parents, but I bring Oliver over all the time to visit. Oliver and Tracey used to hang out in the garage together for hours playing. He was always super energetic and would "bug" her nonstop, but she would put him in his place when she had to and we never had any problems between the 2 of them. Recently though, we had to keep Oliver in the house because Tracey had a bum hip and was on anti-inflammatories, and was supposed to stay off of it for a while. We of course didn't want them playing together because that wouldn't allow her to recover. It was probably at least 2 months that they were separated.

About a month ago, my parents let Oliver down for the first time to see Tracey in the garage. I wasn't there, but I heard she got really nasty and wanted to jump on him. My dad got nervous she was going to hurt him so he pulled Oliver away. Oliver peed right there on the garage floor I guess because he was so scared. What's strange is my brother's girlfriend kept one of other puppies and he had been over to visit several times during this time, and Tracey was always accepting of him. This has me puzzled.

Does anyone know why Tracey would exhibit this behavior towards her own puppy? Has she gotten territorial since he's been gone? We haven't let him down since, but I'd really like to re-unite them...Any suggestions on how to do that?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	11879185_10103837890278943_1281236423820201936_o.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4860  
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2016, 09:19 PM
That is quite normal. I have Zen who is Mabs's daughter and she really tells her off, won't let her in with her and pins her quite frequently, all part of them learning their manners with their elders. Zen is frequently put in her place by not only her mother but her grandma, great aunt and cousin, she is at the bottom of the heap. They won't hurt her, it does sound like they are murdering them, but it is all wind and water. You have to let it happen and gradually it finds its own level and they learn what is and isn't acceptable.
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2016, 09:25 PM
OH, so even though it sounded like she was going to kill him and he wet himself, this is all normal? You wouldn't worry she's going to hurt him and just let the 2 together off-leash like before?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Yeah you have to let them get on with it. He wet himself because she scared him, and she did it on purpose, so next time he will be less boisterous and mind his manners, if he doesn't then it will happen again till he learns
My puppies are brought up with their immediate family, by about 4 weeks the mother has selected one of them to be the nanny whilst she takes a back seat and they start learning then, and it carries on like that. Once she wants to stop feeding them and they insist, then all hell breaks loose and they run screaming to their nanny, sometimes they try to feed off one of the others and they get sent packing as well, the screaming is a reaction to alert the family that something bad is happening and they need help, as its the family doing it, they are ignored, then eventually they understand that they can no longer behave in that fashion, and if they do then they won't like it.
Sounds harsh but thats the way of their world, its very effective as well. Once one of Lona's babies was swinging off Cariad's ears, she put up with it for so long and gave warning growls but it continued, she picked him up by his head and held it in her mouth and he was squeaking (a bit muffled) then she let him out and held him down with her paw, once he stopped misbehaving she let him up and he ran off to play with his siblings. I am always fascinated watching what happens and they've taught me a heck of a lot over the years.
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Yea, this was the first time I'd ever been around a litter. It really is fascinating watching the dynamics play out! She's always put him in line, especially him as he's one of the most obnoxious of all of them, haha. Her reaction just seemed really extreme after the separation. But maybe she just doesn't want to welcome that behavior back in.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Exactly, imagine if one of your kids was a bit over the top and rude, you'd stop it in its tracks wouldn't you, otherwise you'd end up with an unbearable kid that was rude, threw tantrums and nobody wanted near them.
I think we can and should learn a lot from animals, their survival totally depends on other members doing what they're told and fulfulling their role within their family, so the 'training' starts very early on.