View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimmie91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Scent marking in house older entire male, help!

Hi im at the end of my tether as to what to try next any help appreciated
Ill try and keep this short, I have moved in with my partner and he has an 8yr old entire male springer. He is caged and confined to the kitchen area as he cannot be given rein to the rest of the house, a couple of reasons is all decore will be smashed, pulled down ruined etc. And the main reason is what im asking help for.
He will have the odd 'accident' in the kitchen, thankfully easy to clean down kitchen cupboards and doors. But if he is ever allowed in the rest of the house (mostly the living room on a lead) he will pee on the first and nearest thing without any warning. If my partner tells him off he will actually finish his buisness before tootering off! But if i tell him off he mostly stops mid flow but lunges round to bite me which he has drawn blood on quite a few occassions. Now the dog has got into habbit whenever i tell him off (which is a clap of the hands and a shout 'oi' for toileting in the house, jumping up on the kitchen work tops dragging plates and food etc) he will instantly lunge at me growling, if i am close enough i get bitten.
My partner isnt around in the house enough (as i am off work at the moment) to tell him off himself. But i cannot let a dog do these things in front of my own eyes and let it get away with it.
I dont know whether im over reacting as i have a dog myself which i could leave a plate of sausages on the coffee table and she would not dare touch unless i told her she could take one...only one! So i consider myself quite lucky in how well trained she is thankfully. But im finding it very difficult with the behaviour and age of this other dog, i dont think it helps he knows im a little afraid of him and to tell him off so accidents are happening more often.
Any help appreciated
Thank you
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2015, 06:47 AM
One or two things come to mind here. Are either dog neutered? Could your partners dog go outside in a shed or larger crate? I prefer to call them dens. Just until your partner comes home. Obviously if it is too cold or wet then the dog must have shelter and warmth. Far better than you getting bitten. Tell your partner that you are frightened now of getting bitten very badly. Maybe if he has to be indoors with you while your partner is at work the dog could have a comfy muzzle on. I suspect that he is peeing because of your dog being female. Even neutered dogs give off a scent and some still scent mark, even bitches that are neutered do it. Obviously I don't know why you are off work as you don't say but if it is because you are unwell then the dog will sense this and take advantage of you not being 100% up to par. Hope that helps.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Based on the little info given, looking at it from the dogs perspective....

I'm kept mainly in a crate or confined to the kitchen. That is my 'world'. Sometimes I get my lead put on (walkies right?). And I get to go to 'other places' (living room). It's got new smells in and I need to let people know that this is my territory! There's this new person God knows who she thinks she is but she's pretty aggressive and barks at me all the time. What's a boy to do?

Sounds like this situation is a by product of how his other 'issues' have addressed (aka not, he's just been confined)

How much exercise / stimulation does he have and how is his relationship with the bitch?

There is no need for an 8 yr old dog to have accidents on the floor if he is given sufficient exercise and let out often enough. Unless there is a medical issue. Given he is 8 now I would get him health checked water works wise to rule out the accidents being due to something else going on. The scent marking is a diff kettle of fish. If he's healthy then I'd suggest. Sufficient exercise /. Stimulation and s behaviourist to help with his anxiety and relationship with you. He's not a bad guy he's just being a dog without direction so he's trying to work it out himself
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Based on the little info given, looking at it from the dogs perspective....

I'm kept mainly in a crate or confined to the kitchen. That is my 'world'. Sometimes I get my lead put on (walkies right?). And I get to go to 'other places' (living room). It's got new smells in and I need to let people know that this is my territory! There's this new person God knows who she thinks she is but she's pretty aggressive and barks at me all the time. What's a boy to do?

Sounds like this situation is a by product of how his other 'issues' have addressed (aka not, he's just been confined)

How much exercise / stimulation does he have and how is his relationship with the bitch?

There is no need for an 8 yr old dog to have accidents on the floor if he is given sufficient exercise and let out often enough. Unless there is a medical issue. Given he is 8 now I would get him health checked water works wise to rule out the accidents being due to something else going on. The scent marking is a diff kettle of fish. If he's healthy then I'd suggest. Sufficient exercise /. Stimulation and s behaviourist to help with his anxiety and relationship with you. He's not a bad guy he's just being a dog without direction so he's trying to work it out himself
Brilliantly put.

A springer kept in a crate "most of the time" equals an unhappy dog .
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Another vote for Dobermonkey. A Springer is a busy working breed, and he needs more opportunity to expend that energy. This boy needs more companionship, more exercise, and lots of positive, (play, treats and happy interactions), training.
As things are, why should this unhappy boy try to please anybody?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Well gotta agree spending his life in a crate must be soul destroying for him. There are ways around the piddling issue retrain him and use a belly band and incontinence pad while he's indoors. Take him outside frequently. Walk him regularly. Use a muzzle to stop the biting and train and treat to get him used to you. Locking him away till your boyfriend comes home is a terrible thing to do, how would you like to be shoved in a cupboard till your boyfriend came back.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2015, 02:46 PM
oops . posted twice by mistake,
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I feel your partner isnt taking responsibility for training and exercising his dog and you are lumbered with the problem of an under exercised and under stimulated dog.

Originally Posted by kimmie91 View Post
But i cannot let a dog do these things in front of my own eyes and let it get away with it.
What you can do is help this dog so that he doesnt feel need to pee everywhere and jump on counters etc .
You then wont be in the position where you feel you have to tell him off.

he is doing dog things and they really dont understand that what he is doing is "bad " or "wrong" from a humans point of view.

whenever i tell him off (which is a clap of the hands and a shout 'oi' for toileting in the house, jumping up on the kitchen work tops dragging plates and food etc) he will instantly lunge at me growling, if i am close
From a dogs point of view , your behaviour is threatening and he is defending himself. It would be best to stop doing this as its not stopping him fron doing it and you are getting hurt.

Shouting oi and clapping your hand isnt teaching your dog anything specific. Its a common thing that dog owners do , they say No but the dog doesnt understand what they are saying no about. You would be far better off reinforcing basic commands such as Off , Leave etc . Its much more specific and you can reward him for doing something right and build a good relationship with him.

Ask you boyfriend to think about getting him neutered that can help with marking but he does in general need much more exercise and stimulation as he is a working breed .

There isa training club on the isle of man that used positive re-enforcement , maybe you could take him there.

http://www.douglasdogtrainingclub.co.uk/

Good luck
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Neutering generally doesn't help with marking tbh. You need to figure out why he's doing it and prevent it from continuing. Saying oi or off makes no odds dogs don't know commands unless they are taught them, so makes no difference what word you use.
It may be the boyfriends dog but he can't control it when he's out at work, so you need to become friends with the dog.
kimmie91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Okay not sure where to start. I appreciate a lot of the comments and not others. I can understand yes he is a crated dog of course this is unfair etc. BUT this is not my desicion this is how the dog lived before I met my partner. He has always been crated whilst my partner is away from the house at work etc. This is how he has always known and always been. I feel like I habe given the dog a lot more since coming into the house which is why I dont understand with getting out more and more social and interaction how he is getting worse. I Bringing my dog into the house hasn't changed these habits much just more frequently. I have done all I am capable of doing to try and resolve this. At first I couldn't walk the dog as it is far to strong for me and pulls me over. Then ive been off work due to ill health. Getting better I bought a cross over nose attachment for the collar so this dog is able to have one 15 min walk each day with me now. Thankfully ive managed to get this far! Both dogs are absolutely fine with each other. Thanks dibby the dog. Im not on the Isle of Man now I need to change profile haha. So nice of all your opinions but please dont drag me down for trying good on a dog. I am trying my best as I would never let my own live in a cage. Im not stupid just stuck and helpless :/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >