Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Dogs who mourn?

Can I say at the start that I am not worried about wee dog as she is eating etc and responding .. Just would be grateful for others experiences...My old collie died on Sunday. These two had never eg slept together or played together and were very different dogs. Wee dog would have been with collie when she died. And I left her there a while as it seemed sensible so she would realise collie had gone rather than been taken away ( hope that makes sense.. It does to me!) Wee dog is spending mot of her time in the big open shed where they were sleeping and where collie died and I am wondering if this is some kind of vigil? Greyfriars Bobby style? She will come when I call and stay with me a short while then very politely back to the shed. Has anyone here had a similar experience please? I will go with it as long as it takes of course and it is early days yet and warm enough for her to sleep out there.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Firstly... sorry for your loss

I had a similar experience. I had my old Brownie put down at the vets. That SAME night and over a week afterwards, my Jade... who same as your dogs, was never really his friend did look for him for quite some time. She'd look for him near where his bed was (I had taken it up) and she'd check downstairs and everything.

When I took her outside, she'd look around for him out there, too. Eventually she stopped doing this, realizing that he was never coming back, but it was interesting to see her looking for him. They weren't friends, they didn't even really like each other... but she certainly was searching for him because it was abnormal for him not to be there.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Firstly... sorry for your loss

I had a similar experience. I had my old Brownie put down at the vets. That SAME night and over a week afterwards, my Jade... who same as your dogs, was never really his friend did look for him for quite some time. She'd look for him near where his bed was (I had taken it up) and she'd check downstairs and everything.

When I took her outside, she'd look around for him out there, too. Eventually she stopped doing this, realizing that he was never coming back, but it was interesting to see her looking for him. They weren't friends, they didn't even really like each other... but she certainly was searching for him because it was abnormal for him not to be there.
Thanks for this. Makes me weep for her, the politeness of her! She came in last night happily enough then after a few hours was crying and yelping to be let out...I have all the patience she needs for this. They were "together" nearly ten years after all. Thanks Myra
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Thanks for this. Makes me weep for her, the politeness of her! She came in last night happily enough then after a few hours was crying and yelping to be let out...I have all the patience she needs for this. They were "together" nearly ten years after all. Thanks Myra
Animals are awesome. Things like these kind of helps remind us that family is family, even if we don't get along super well. My cats fight all the time, but I KNOW that one will severely mourn the other once she goes, because they are family and love is more important than like... if you get what I mean.

Your little girl, much like my Jade, will eventually realize her old partner in crime is gone forever... but it'll take her some time. You understand this and I know you'll be just fine. Are you considering another dog?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Animals are awesome. Things like these kind of helps remind us that family is family, even if we don't get along super well. My cats fight all the time, but I KNOW that one will severely mourn the other once she goes, because they are family and love is more important than like... if you get what I mean.

Your little girl, much like my Jade, will eventually realize her old partner in crime is gone forever... but it'll take her some time. You understand this and I know you'll be just fine. Are you considering another dog?
No to another dog. I am way over 70 and not taking on any new commitments. Would not be fair to them. I had a Siamese cross cat who literally pined to death when his sibling died. Horrible to see but they were very close and i knew there would be problems when one went. I thought leaving her with collie after she died might stop her searching... This thankfully is different from the cat. Off to talk to her and ask her in again! She is sooooooo polite! "Kind of you to ask but not just now thank you!" After hoovering any tempting crumbs off the kitchen floor ( she does not realise I am scattering them to make sure he eats..)
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
No to another dog. I am way over 70 and not taking on any new commitments. Would not be fair to them. I had a Siamese cross cat who literally pined to death when his sibling died. Horrible to see but they were very close and i knew there would be problems when one went. I thought leaving her with collie after she died might stop her searching... This thankfully is different from the cat. Off to talk to her and ask her in again! She is sooooooo polite! "Kind of you to ask but not just now thank you!" After hoovering any tempting crumbs off the kitchen floor ( she does not realise I am scattering them to make sure he eats..)
My granny got her last puppy at 88 and at 95 there both still going strong.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by LMost View Post
My granny got her last puppy at 88 and at 95 there both still going strong.
OH DEAR! Why is there always someone who attacks like this! This is a personal decision my dear, Your granny has you and i clearly in good health whereas I am disabled and in very very poor health indeed ... REALLY! I cannot care adequately for another dog, period. and cannot afford a second dog.Collie was not planned; I found her chained 24/7 to a 56 lb weight and took her in else she would have died there. Could not afford her without cutting my own food which I did willingly for ten years..... OK now you have really upset me! Adding you to my blocked list as I can do without this thank you very much! Just lost my dog and the other one is grieving n so much pain can barely walk HAD ENOUGH! JUST HAVE HAD ENOUGH!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2015, 06:48 AM

So the new pattern is set.. wee dog is attached to collie's blanket and comes in for petting and food and we mooch around a while then back she goes..Devoured a chicken wing etc early today with great relish.. all is well and as it should be.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Wee dog will get there in time they are just like us each one copes differently and she seems to be ok as she is eating etc. and she does have you when she needs some comfort.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Hey there, Rosebud. I don't think LMost meant any harm. he's generally a pretty nice guy. I think he was only trying to encourage you by saying your age doesn't mean you can't get another dog if you WANTED to. Some people think old age means they will die before the dog does and leave it abandoned.

I'm sorry the little girl is still upset, but she will make it in time. You're doing exactly what she needs you to do, giving her time and space. It's always so hard to lose a dog, and I feel your pain but really don't think he meant to cause any further damage... was only trying to encourage you. He was unable to take into account your health or finances, he didn't know.

I understand you can't really afford a new dog or have the desire or capability to care for another dog because I can't either and it does sadden me. There's a skinny stray boy right outside who sure could use a new home and some tender loving care, but I can't take him in. I can't afford anymore vet bills, and I can't deal with house breaking him etc. and fights between Jade and everything else.

Hang in there, I know this is an emotional time for you... but people are thinking of you and yours. Perhaps you can take solace in that. hopefully I didn't upset you. Have a good day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >