Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ian0879
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Is this jealousy?

Hi all, will try and keep this short. We have two male labs, and a few weeks ago we adopted a female border collie. She loves to cuddle and sit next to you on the spa and our bed. Our issue is that when we have one of the other dogs on the sofa or bed for cuddles she won't come and sit still on the sofa. She either tries to get in where the other dog is, paces back and forth on the floor or just sits/lays down on the floor focused on the dog getting attention. When that dog then gets off she seems to give it a playful face to face nip.

My question is why does she do this, is it jealousy, is it something we need to stop her doing if so any recommendations?
Many thanks
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Is she ok the rest of the time with your other dogs? I would say for the time being don't have them on the sofa for cuddles but sit on the floor with them all. Give them a cue to say that they can do this. Then give them another cue to say that that is time up and then sit back on the sofa/bed without them. Eventually if you wish them to be with you, you can give the same cue with each of their names. Hope that makes sense. She is probably just feeling anxious. Collies are quite sensitive dogs.
Ian0879
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi, thank you. Yeah she's fine with the at all other times it just when they're getting attention, even if my wife trys to give her attention at the same time she won't settle.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2015, 04:56 PM
I think everything's fine, they've just worked out the pecking order. Cats do it too. They'll sleep fine together. But if someone is getting human attention they take turns, usually the pushiest to the meekest.

Sophie and Callie too. He would be happy to be beside me, head in lap all day long. But when Sophie wants that spot he lumbers down off the couch and gets on his own chair. Same thing if he's standing and I'm scratching his back. Sophie comes and he walks away.