Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2015, 03:30 PM

Dogs Fighting

Mari = 1 year, 3 month Alaskan Malamute female, Kirito = 1 year ,2 month high content wolfdog male, Rarity = 9 month old miniature dachshund female.

Mari has already established herself as the dominant dog, but she feels the need to fight Kirito whenever she gets the chance.
They got along so well from March to May...Now since June they've started fighting.
Sometimes when food is near, sometimes for no apparent reason. Mari starts the fights, Mari wins, and Kirito submits.

Mari doesn't fight Rarity (thank goodness... she'd kill her..) but it still feels like she asserts herself too much. Rarity usually just cowers and gets low to the ground when Mari gets near.

Is there anything I can do about this?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2015, 05:53 PM
I hope somebody can advise you. I think some people take the wisdom that you have to let the dogs pick who's the "Top Dog". Of course having big strong doggies means you might have to intervene somehow.

We only have the two and Sophie can get really bossy with Callie. We are totally blessed that except for rare grumbling, he just gets out of her way. If they ever fought for real he would win.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2015, 07:32 AM
That's not dominance, that's bullying.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2015, 08:07 AM
When is mari due in season? she may change her opinion of him very shortly!
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2015, 06:34 PM
It seems more like bullying to me since he's already accepted her dominance.

She's not due to come im season until around October. She went into heat last year in October and then in February. Though I will be separating them when she does go into heat.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2015, 07:15 PM
You have to stop her in her tracks every time she starts to kick off, If you watch closely you'll notice the early warning signs and the sooner you interrupt it the better, block her view by putting your body between them, tell her loudly to back off, if necessary lead her away. When you feed them give them a good amount of distance and stand in the middle and watch for any signs and act quickly to prevent it.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2015, 01:04 AM
They say to give treats and attention to the top dog first. I do this with Sophie. She then wanders off without challenging Callie. Their feeding areas are on opposite ends of a large kitchen. I think it helps.
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2015, 03:43 AM
Thursday I was brushing Mari and Kirito came up to us. Within a second Mari and Kirito were fighting. Mari had him pinned to the ground and she got his tongue pretty bad. It was bleeding badly for a few minutes.
I did not see any warning signs because it happened so quickly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-06-2015, 09:46 AM
That's the problem canine warning signs are very subtle, we frequently miss them. Cuts to the tongue always look worse than they are because the blood mixes with the saliva, one of mine used to catch his tongue on his teeth while playing, it always looked like a bloodbath.
If you think it's jealousy/ bullying and you know she reacts try telling the other dog to do something else when she approaches. It can take a while to resolve, two of mine were a flaming nightmare but they got through it eventually, they'll never be best mates but they live in harmony.
JoesPooch
New Member!
Male 

28-06-2015, 06:11 PM
This is quite a pickle. The best you can do is reward them for times when they are well-tempered and not fighting.