Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jspence802
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Housebroken dog peeing in house

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I rescued a two year old miniature pinscher. Staff said he is housebroken, which we learned was true. However, this morning was different. Finn sleeps in the room with us in his bed on the floor. The routine has been that my boyfriend walks him before he goes to bed (around 12PM most days) and I wake up for work and walk him first thing (around 630AM). This has been going well, with no accidents in between. However, this morning around 5 I woke up because I absolutely had to use the restroom. Finn got all excited and got up and stretched. I came back in and told him no no, go back to bed, and I laid down and I heard peeing. I stood up and saw him with his leg lifted, peeing up against the wall. I don't understand ! Could someone please explain why he did this suddenly?

The only difference in routine I can think of is that last night my boyfriend went to bed early so the dog got his last walk around 11:00 instead of the usual 12-1. Please help ! We do not want this to become a bigger issue than just this one time.

Is this a behavioral thing or is it possible he needs to see the vet ?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 10:05 AM
I would say it was because you needed to go he was disturbed from his slumbers and needed to just like you. Next time let him out as well.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Agree with Brenda. You went to the loo so close to his usual morning toilet break that he got confused and needed to go.

How many times do we wake in the night, not really wanting to go, yet desperate to go when we try to get back to sleep.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Agree with previous replies.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2015, 04:42 PM
At least for the next few weeks, I would just take him out more often than you think he needs in order to make sure to prevent any accidents. Sure, he might've been housetrained in his previous home but he still may need some reminders and all the help he can get to maintain good habits in his new home.

So, just make it easier on him and take him out more often than you think he might need. Continue to praise him for going potty outside.

If he goes a month or two with no accidents, then you can trust him a bit more.