View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2015, 04:09 PM
My border collie did the same at 8 weeks. Growling if someone he didn't no tired to pat him.he also doesn't like my OH mum. He is now 11months and a real softy.he just had to learn.
He still won't let my OH mother near him. He must sence something about her he doesn't like.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Feel like I'm stepping in the minefield here.
Gnasher and I are having a debate and trying to understand other points of view, but not upset about it. At least i'm not and I don't think she is upset either

As for the rest of the posts after ours....not so sure...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Do you actually like dogs? I thought I was past getting shocked at the stuff I read on line but the way you are so casual about it shocks me .
I do like dogs, I love my dogs, actually. It's taken a lot for me to shake the mentality around here that dogs are not family. You don't know me, so assume all you like about me.

And research me all you like, but make sure to do it completely, and be sure to read the horrific replies some people from this site threw at me. There were threats and all kinds of other nonsense.

I've taken responsibility for my actions and I never act high and mighty as if my ideas are always right or if I don't make mistakes. I am currently caring for my two dogs as indoor dogs and I'm kind and loving to them, that is all that matters.

I simply don't play dangerous games such as getting bitten or attacked by my own dogs. My dad is disabled and unable to weather a dog attack, and so is my mother. Nothing and nobody is more important than they are. It's not even close and I won't argue or debate that.

I'm casual about it, sure. Why shouldn't I be? It's nothing but truth. Why sugarcoat it? Before using an e-collar on a dog, I'd get rid of the dog. I don' know how to use them and I find them cruel to some degree. That means re-home or take to a shelter. Doesn't mean kill or just release or something, that is just the way it's said here.

People from this site have argued with me about that wording before, and I'll continue to use it because it's what I'm used to.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 05:55 PM
I just thought of something that Timber just reminded me of. Dogs also use avoidance for things they are not liking all that much. Karitsa was pestering and pestering him to play when he was trying to take a nap. He didn't snap or growl, he simply got up and walked away until she finally got the picture and left him alone, then she went to bug Tynan to play

How about those times where a dog doesn't want to be petted? Many times they turn their faces away. Avoidance is also a part of dog language.

It does work, maybe not always but it does. I have had luck using avoidance with certain things that a dog/pup needed to learn while I have also had luck using time outs, all depending on the dog. Using avoidance for a biting puppy is not to just stand there and let them bite you, it's removing yourself from the situation while paying no attention to the annoying habit they have to nip at that age. Seems like some are envisioning a pup latched on to its owner, this is the not we're trying to explain. Avoidance=quiet removal of oneself from a situation without saying a word.

I hope the OP comes back to let us know how things are going.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Gnasher and I are having a debate and trying to understand other points of view, but not upset about it. At least i'm not and I don't think she is upset either

Just ignore them darling ... I am most certainly NOT upset, and as sure as damn you're not. I don't think Myra is upset either ... God knows what the poor OP must think about all this. She asks for some advice, she receives advice from people who clearly have very different opinions on what is right and what is wrong regarding puppy biting ... no problem with that so far. But sadly, as always when I am involved in giving constructive advice, it has to turn nasty. It is pathetic, so very obvious to anyone with half a brain to see what's going on, which is bullying effectively. However, I care not a jot, whit or iota, so I just ignore it and treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Myra, thank you for your kind words and support. Let us now get back to the very interesting topic of this thread, which is how to effectively treat a puppy who is biting so hard that he is breaking skin.

As far as training using words is concerned, it is the consistency of the sound that it is important, not the word that you use. I personally like the word "No!!" because it is short, sweet and sharp and some assertion and emphasis can be put onto the first letter, the consonant "N". You could just as easily say "Boo!" or "******" or any other short sound. Or indeed, do a Cesar Millan "oi!" or "tsssk". But I like the word No! said with emphasis and assertion, and I will continue to use my No simply because it works for me, and more importantly it works on my dogs! Coupled with a pointed finger, it is very effective at instantly stopping unwanted behaviour.

If I want my dog to sit, I will say "sit!" As long as you are totally 100% consistent it does not matter what you do, or what you say ... a cough is no different from saying No! Unfortunate though if you have a hacking cough and your poor dog's bum is going up and down up and down like a yo yo and his head is spinning trying to keep up with your coughs!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Yup! Me not upset at all!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I do like dogs, I love my dogs, actually. It's taken a lot for me to shake the mentality around here that dogs are not family. You don't know me, so assume all you like about me.

And research me all you like, but make sure to do it completely, and be sure to read the horrific replies some people from this site threw at me. There were threats and all kinds of other nonsense.

I've taken responsibility for my actions and I never act high and mighty as if my ideas are always right or if I don't make mistakes. I am currently caring for my two dogs as indoor dogs and I'm kind and loving to them, that is all that matters.

I simply don't play dangerous games such as getting bitten or attacked by my own dogs. My dad is disabled and unable to weather a dog attack, and so is my mother. Nothing and nobody is more important than they are. It's not even close and I won't argue or debate that.

I'm casual about it, sure. Why shouldn't I be? It's nothing but truth. Why sugarcoat it? Before using an e-collar on a dog, I'd get rid of the dog. I don' know how to use them and I find them cruel to some degree. That means re-home or take to a shelter. Doesn't mean kill or just release or something, that is just the way it's said here.

People from this site have argued with me about that wording before, and I'll continue to use it because it's what I'm used to.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:05 PM
I just thought of something that Timber just reminded me of. Dogs also use avoidance for things they are not liking all that much. Karitsa was pestering and pestering him to play when he was trying to take a nap. He didn't snap or growl, he simply got up and walked away until she finally got the picture and left him alone, then she went to bug Tynan to play

How about those times where a dog doesn't want to be petted? Many times they turn their faces away. Avoidance is also a part of dog language.

It does work, maybe not always but it does. I have had luck using avoidance with certain things that a dog/pup needed to learn while I have also had luck using time outs, all depending on the dog. Using avoidance for a biting puppy is not to just stand there and let them bite you, it's removing yourself from the situation while paying no attention to the annoying habit they have to nip at that age. Seems like some are envisioning a pup latched on to its owner, this is the not we're trying to explain. Avoidance=quiet removal of oneself from a situation without saying a word.

I hope the OP comes back to let us know how things are going.
I hope so too. After all, it's what it's all about, this topic.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Oh please where did I mention you, not every post is about you & your training method.

Please explain how a dog "knows" what the word "No" means ? It knows by some means that it should stop what it is doing, just like it should know the word "heel" means walk alongside nicely on a slack lead. In which case why do my dogs walk to heel nicely never having hear me actually tell them to ? The only thing they know is that they walk close to me, hear a click & get rewarded, I've never used the word heel, just like I have never used the word "No" to stop a behaviour, yet I can get my dogs to stop behaviours with a low cough ! maybe your dogs understand the human language & mine simply know what is rewarded & what isn't by instinct. Must try the shouting at them & using human language with my next puppy, will just have to learn Romanian before he/she gets here, otherwise I will fail totally
At home I talk to, and train my dogs in English. The dog walker only speaks to them in Hungarian and depending whether their trainer has them on their own or as part of a group, commands are given in either language. It can be embarrassing in group training when the command "marad" (stop) or "ull" (sit) is given and my two will stop or sit whilst I'm still trying to puzzle out what the words mean!

Having owned dogs in various parts of the world where during the course of a day, dogs might hear more than one language i.e French/English or English/Zulu/Afrikaans has led me to believe that verbal language is secondary to tone of voice. By tone of voice I don't meaning shouting, raising my voice or sounding strident, but rather the opposite. Bearing in mind that a dog's hearing is far better than a humans raising one's voice above normal is largely unnecessary and most of the time I talk to my dogs quietly but when I'm correcting bad behaviour I'll place more emphasis on the word and also name the offender. Georgina for example can get a bit rough when she and Gwylim are play fighting and to stop her I'll say "Ge-nt-ly Georgie!" Whilst she might not understand the word she certainly understands that what she's doing is not acceptable!

Georgina has probably been my most difficult dog due her being partially sighted from 4 months until she had her final operation at 13 months old, (she had 5 operations in total). NO training manuals can tell you how to cope with a young dog who because of their lack of sight lives in a permanent state of panic ... but with patience and understanding we managed to muddle through and today at 16 months old she's become a dog to be truly proud of!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I hope the biting/nipping issue can be sorted out as well. So long as it's not cruel, and it works I think the OP should feel free to try and/or use any method she likes. I don't condemn any methods as useless unless they are cruel or mean such as hitting or kicking.

Gnasher, you're welcome. I got a touch of the past dredging, bullying type stuff here, as well. It's really tired to try and dig back years to have a go at someone you don't agree with. But it's whatever. If going back years is your answer to a statement made today, then that shuts it down completely anyway.

I wonder what would happen if everyone just brought up old news each time something new came up to question? Would anything ever get accomplished? Is old stuff always relevant in the new age? I'd like to think not!

As for people who judge me based on my past, or based on my words here without knowing anything thing about me, that is fine. What can I do against that? Absolutely nothing, so there it is.
Page 6 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »