Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tubsy250
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Regression in toilet training

afternoon. Is it common for a puppy to regress in toilet training. Our 5 1/2 month french bulldog was doing really well with his house training going to the door during the day or weeing on paper mats during the night but the last few days he seems to be doing his business where he feels like and when I wake in the morning and come down it's like a mine field with little scatterings everywhere even though there is a trail if mats to the back door. Am I doing something wrong. We always take him out just before bed but this seems to make no difference. I am wondering whether I should come down in the night and let him out but am worried this may upset him when I then leave him and go back to bed.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately you have taught him it is ok to toilet in the house during the night, this often happens when dogs are trained to paper or pads.

I would get up during the night, depending on what time you go to bed I would get up 2 or 3 hours later and gradually extend this as he stays clean. It may mean you getting up earlier at first as well but he will learn to hold it.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm not clear what you mean .
In the day he was going to the door , I assume that means you let him out and he goes to the toilet outside.
At night he was going on paper but now is going anywhere . So the regression is he's not going on the paper at night ?

has his toilet changed are his poos firmer or looser?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Unfortunately you have taught him it is ok to toilet in the house during the night, this often happens when dogs are trained to paper or pads.

I would get up during the night, depending on what time you go to bed I would get up 2 or 3 hours later and gradually extend this as he stays clean. It may mean you getting up earlier at first as well but he will learn to hold it.
Agree strongly with all of that. I never left it up to the pup to go to the door. I took them out every couple of hours whether they showed signs of needing to 'go' or not. And also after every time they ate, played, woke up, got excited.

Leaving it to the dog to tell you is not 'housetraining' them.
Tubsy250
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Sorry I think I confused a little. I took him outside all the usual times after naps play dinner etc and he actually started going to the door before we even prompted him and at night he always wee'd and poo'ed on the paper we put down but now he's not going on the paper. We have just moved his bed into a day room so I'm guessing we have moved the goal poss and confused him ....
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes, I expect it it that .
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tubsy250 View Post
Sorry I think I confused a little. I took him outside all the usual times after naps play dinner etc and he actually started going to the door before we even prompted him and at night he always wee'd and poo'ed on the paper we put down but now he's not going on the paper. We have just moved his bed into a day room so I'm guessing we have moved the goal poss and confused him ....
Does sound like you have changed things for him, if you change something it often helps to take your training back a stage or two to the point get it right again
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Oh how frustrating! I think, as others have suggested, it would be a good idea to take it back a notch and have his bed set up exactly how it was before. Sounds like too much of a change for him.

I would also highly recommend you try taking him out once in the middle of the night to encourage him to go outside. I'm just not a fan of indoor potty areas for dogs because I've seen so many examples where they start to go all over the place. You have to make the best decision for your dog, but I think transitioning him off of the pads would be a good idea.

To do that, I'd take him out every four hours or so at night and then cut back to once at night and then hopefully in a few weeks he can make it through the night.

Just my two sense. I hope you can figure out how to stop this problem, because I'm sure it's no fun to be greeted with a bunch of "surprises" each morning!

If you'd like a few refresher tips, I'm linking to a post I wrote about potty training a dog: http://www.dogids.com/blog/potty-train-an-adult-dog/