Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2012, 09:46 AM

The bin!

Not sure if this is in the right section but I'm sure the Mods will move it if its not.

Rosie enjoys a rummage through the bin in the middle of the night, and we are regularly treated to the contents being distributed between the kitchen and living room when we come down in the morning.

Our house is rather open plan so not easy to keep it away from her and still convenient for our use, since we never catch her "at it" there is no benefit from rebuking her in the morning, as I understand it.

I suspect that we will end up having a small counter top bin and big outside one but Mrs J doesn't like that idea so I'm looking really for any training tips or recommendation for a good sized dog resistant bin. Our current one is a typical swing bin with little weight which tends to just take non recyclables, much of which was once food packaging so probably smells great to dogs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a pull out bin in a cupboard which the dogs can't access overnight. Bin rummaging is self rewarding behaviour so really all you can do is remove temptation. Get in the habit of emptying the bin before going to bed or put it outside.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Good luck in finding a dog resistant bin! we have had two of those expensive Brabantia bins, both of which my dogs learned to operate in days (one a touch top, the other a pedal bin).

With cheap bins, mine just flip the lid off or knock the whole thing over.

Unless you have the space for an in-cupboard bin, management is the only solution really. I move the bin the at night and if I am out during the day if it is any more than a quarter full. It gets changed pretty much every day so that it doesn't get too full to tempt them.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I've never had a problem with my own dogs emptying my kitchen waste bin, but last year one of my neighbours dogs nearly drove me mad by getting into my garden during the night, knocking over the dustbin and scattering the contents all over the driveway!

The solution was to tie the handles of the bin to the wire fence so that the dog could no longer knock it over. Perhaps you could do something similar with your kitchen bin??
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
We had an in-built cupboard bin, with a door lock on the outside ('cos my brother enjoyed opening the doors when he was a kid).

At the moment we have a Brabantia pedal bin, which even I can't open properly
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Thi prob wont solve your problem if your house is very open plan but we ended up tying two door handles together to stop my dogs extra curricular bin raiding as one can open doors
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
When Sadie used to bin raid we would put the bin on the side at night.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
To solve the problem of lightweight bins being easily knocked over, if you put a layer of cat litter [fresh!] in the bottom of the bin it adds some weight. It also helps deodorise the bin and soaks up any leaks.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
To solve the problem of lightweight bins being easily knocked over, if you put a layer of cat litter [fresh!] in the bottom of the bin it adds some weight. It also helps deodorise the bin and soaks up any leaks.
Absolute pain to tidy up if it gets knocked over though
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a serial bin/cupboard raider, she eats absolutely anything remotely edible (once ate a 2.5kg bag of raw potatoes!) being a GSD she can reach up high.

I have never managed to stop her counter surfing or bin raiding when I am out of the room so she is not left alone in the kitchen, I would suggest removing the bin when alone or at night etc.

I did manage to cure her fridge emptying behaviour though... Albeit accidentally (and I'm not suggesting you do the same!) there was a bowl of water resting on the fridge and as she opened it it toppled and fell on her head soaking her... She never attempted it again!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >