Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No she has not missed that out.
Ah, in that case I refer you to the opening of my post and it's your fault for not including that in your quote
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I am a huge fan---might have to break a golden rule (not reading training/behaviour books on the grounds that they annoy me!) and get it for mums kindle.

rune
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
off to buy it now.............
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Ah, in that case I refer you to the opening of my post and it's your fault for not including that in your quote
I am afraid I included JUST the opening quotes, not the whole content.

I think those sentences really focus the mind.

I also like the way she goes into detail on how to get a dog's attention, the method, the environment and, crucially, the time it takes to perfect.

It is a very short, very accessible book, clear with no jargon etc.

To the point.

I like her logical approach and lack of flowery blah!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Clearly I will have to read it...but the onlead interaction thing doesn't fit my boy at all. He meets,he sniffs, he walks on. He never goes to play or fight (touch wood....) My reactive girl, has now been taught (much in the way Tass has said which you have said is mentioned in another part),to meet, say hello, then sit for a reward, she generally also then ignores the other dog. Is that sort of interaction mentioned?
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Wish I had a Kindle! Will have to wait and see if it comes out in print (crosses fingers)
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Bah! Give a technophobe like me a book any day. Oh well, looks like a great read that I shall miss out on (for now).
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
You can buy it in print from Dogwise in the USA. But I have installed Kindle for PC to get the download and if I feel it's worth it will order it from the States later on.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I quote

The absolute hardest, most problemati,c most diffiuclt way for dogs to greet and meet is on leash. And there are really only two potential outcomes for the greeting and neither is particularly useful or desirable.

1 After the initial investigative sniffing and greeing ritual the dogs play

2 After the initial investigative sniffing and greeting ritual, the dogs fight.

Neither is actually better than the other. If the dogs sniff and then play, your dog has just gotton a jackpot sized reward for going up to a stange dog and introducing itself. The next time he sees a strange dog, he will want to pull towards that dog to greet it, to see if he can make a friend and have a little play session. Each subsequent time your do will strain harder and harder to get to the other dogs hoping to get to stop and play. If nothing else, this will lead to a harder and harder time maning your dg on walks, since he now gets so distrated around other dogs.
well i have to disagree with that from the start so it looks like i migght not agree with her.
my dogs ALWAYS greet on lead if its a dog they havnt met before, even if they have been off lead, i put them on they greet i let them of and hopfully they play
my dogs dont pull me towards othjer dogs
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
well i have to disagree with that from the start so it looks like i migght not agree with her.
my dogs ALWAYS greet on lead if its a dog they havnt met before, even if they have been off lead, i put them on they greet i let them of and hopfully they play
my dogs dont pull me towards othjer dogs
What sort of dogs do you have?

rune
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »