Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 06:17 PM

On the lead?

Hi all

I have a 10 week old pup which i want to get used to a lead for when it can go out after all its jabs
how is the best was to get it used to a lead?

many thanks
paul
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Congratulations on your new pup What are you going to call him/her?
I would put the lead on the pup and just get it used to it in the house. Let it wander around the house with the lead trailing. This way it won't be afraid of it or consider it something alien when the time comes.
When can we see some pictures?
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Congratulations on your new pup What are you going to call him/her?
I would put the lead on the pup and just get it used to it in the house. Let it wander around the house with the lead trailing. This way it won't be afraid of it or consider it something alien when the time comes.
When can we see some pictures?
Hi
His name is sam , i have posted a pic off him
thanks for your reply,i have been putting the lead on him around the house so he can walk around with it, soon as i get hold off it he goes mad does not like it one bit lol
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by ukpaul View Post
Hi
His name is sam , i have posted a pic off him
thanks for your reply,i have been putting the lead on him around the house so he can walk around with it, soon as i get hold off it he goes mad does not like it one bit lol
here is the link to his pic

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=171158
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Have you tried giving treats for when he is good and to distract him?

I've looked at your pic, he is a very cute puppy
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Have you tried giving treats for when he is good and to distract him?

I've looked at your pic, he is a very cute puppy
hi
no i have not tried that , i will tho thanks
thanks for the comment about the pic
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Every pup is different and you know yours best (like if you think he will be sceptical or if he can handle it straight away).
I've got a 10,5 week old pup myself, and we put the collar on one day, and the next day we hooked the leash on and just went out. He was never scared of it and he doesn't seem to mind the leash.
I think with puppies as long as they are not scared of things we don't need to make a fuss of it, but if he's already aware of the leash and thinks its spooky, then make him used to it indoors and in the garden (if you got one) first, walk around with him and some treats and reward him for good behaviour.
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
Every pup is different and you know yours best (like if you think he will be sceptical or if he can handle it straight away).
I've got a 10,5 week old pup myself, and we put the collar on one day, and the next day we hooked the leash on and just went out. He was never scared of it and he doesn't seem to mind the leash.
I think with puppies as long as they are not scared of things we don't need to make a fuss of it, but if he's already aware of the leash and thinks its spooky, then make him used to it indoors and in the garden (if you got one) first, walk around with him and some treats and reward him for good behaviour.
Hi
thanks for your reply, i put a collar on him yesterday, anyway i just took him in the garden on the lead and just held the lead and let him go where he wanted to go,then gave him a treat, but when i wanted to bring him back to the house he just sat there lol
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah that's normal, my one also wants to go as much backwards as he wants to go forwards at the moment, hehe!
Although... one day it will change it it's gonna be BOOOM FORWARDS!!! Then we will both have completely opposite threads than today hehehe.
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
Yeah that's normal, my one also wants to go as much backwards as he wants to go forwards at the moment, hehe!
Although... one day it will change it it's gonna be BOOOM FORWARDS!!! Then we will both have completely opposite threads than today hehehe.
lol yes very true, its funny when he walks backwards lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >