Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by dog_lover View Post

For other comments - I never mentioned, neither did she that she wanted to 'completely tire her out'

Suggest you retitle your thread then

'Why is it a problem?" - She feels guilty .
Perhaps you should have said your friend simply wanted reassurance then?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
How about working training into the morning walk? A 30 min walk with lots of clicker training can be more tiring than a two hour walk just sniffing
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I think dogs do better with some down time too - I would tell your friend that the time she is out her dog is learning to chill by himself and has time to think over the things he has be taught (OK a bit simplistic but down time is needed for them to learn as well)
She sounds like she is doing great and I bet he actually enjoys his time to relax when she is out
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
iv got 4 that dont quite.on there feet constantly,pits and dogos.i let them run at will, fenced .and i use a flert stick.all you need is 20x20 area and that will tire your dog,when you need to.simple to make and there easy to use.look them up,it works for me.and the dogs go nuts when i bring it out.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by dog_lover View Post
Hello,

My house mate owns a 3year old beagle bitch. As probably aware, beagles are very energetic, and can seem to go on forever.

She works part time. And the beagle gets two 45minute-1hour walks each time. She is struggling to 'work' the beagle as such; finding walks just aren't enough.

To me the bare minimum you describe of two 45min walks seems like very little exercise
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
To me the bare minimum you describe of two 45min walks seems like very little exercise
I wouldn't say an hour and a half of walking per day is "very little" exercise at all.

Considering the average dog is lucky to walk around the block or have a quick 10 minutes in the park twice a day, I would say an hour and a half is perfectly adequate. Especially if the dog is also getting lots of mental stimulation too which it is.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I wouldn't say an hour and a half of walking per day is "very little" exercise at all.

Considering the average dog is lucky to walk around the block or have a quick 10 minutes in the park twice a day, I would say an hour and a half is perfectly adequate. Especially if the dog is also getting lots of mental stimulation too which it is.
I think I was confused, I thought the mental stimulation, scenting etc was during the walk. But I must have read wrong
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2012, 10:42 PM
proper exersise for a beagle?theses dogs will run for days,i live in the country were some will let there guys out and they will run all night chaseing rabbits.givin the chance ,they run.im not so sure what would be concidered enogh,lots to concider i guess..
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2