Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_lover
New Member!
Male 

05-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Wear down a hound

Hello,

My house mate owns a 3year old beagle bitch. As probably aware, beagles are very energetic, and can seem to go on forever.

She works part time. And the beagle gets two 45minute-1hour walks each time. She is struggling to 'work' the beagle as such; finding walks just aren't enough.

Is there anything she can do, to really make the beagle think and work, other than just walking. She currently does:

Hide and Seek (hide in woods, blow whistle, beagle comes searching)
Hide and Seek (in the house. Bury treats, beagle goes searching)
Tricks (Although I don't think as much. Going over certain tricks, or trying to learn new ones)
Play dates (seeing other dogs to give them all a good run and play)
Group Walks

In a nut shell: she wants a way to exercise, and tire the dog in the morning before she leaves for work, in other ways than just walking or the above.

Thanks.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
What does the dog do at home? Maybe it just needs more mental stimulation at home to help settle.

You could suggest treat hunting games.

As the owner works part time you could also suggest flyball or agility? Obediance classes.

Running or cycling with the dog.

I don't believe it is healthy for a dog to be warn out completely.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
has she tried mental stimulation that doesn't take up her time? feeding the dog from an interactive toy that sort of thing.

Agility/flyball/canix? all options

That said provided the dog doesn't run riot when she's not there it shouldn't be a problem. If she stuffs and freezes a kong it might keep the dog interested while she is at work?
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure that your friend needs to do more activity, it looks like the dog already has a pretty decent activity level.

I looked after a Beagle 5 days a week all day for 3 years from 2 years old, he was a little sweetie, and would happily have run all day, I found giving him some scent work out in the garden would tire him out more than just larking about
Dogs need to learn to be able to rest quietly as well as have an outlet for their natural ability, a stuffed kong should help with this.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I`m not sure it is possible to tire out a fit dog. They seem to be able to go all day.
Why is it a problem?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Big juicy marrowbone. Half an hour chewing on that knackers my dog out.

Puzzle toys like frozen stuffed Kongs, Tug-a-Jug, Buster Cube, etc

Nina Ottoson puzzle toys

I'm currently trying to teach my dog to learn items by name, takes a lot of thinking and seriously wears him out! I find mental stimulation tired my dog out more than exercise.
dog_lover
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all your ideas. It seems she was worrying a bit too much / over-complicating things (she does this)

The beagle is never destructive (so can't be that bored!) and is more of a cuddle monster than anything else.

For other comments - I never mentioned, neither did she that she wanted to 'completely tire her out'. She feels bad for leaving her when she goes to work. Yes she is back by 2, however she wants to know she has done everything she can, so the beagle doesn't get bored or lonely until her return.
Having said that - I see no problem myself in taking a dog for a really good run/walk to wear them out (at the weekends or on occassion)

'Why is it a problem?" - stated above. She feels guilty I think for leaving her until 2pm. I come home on lunch, so really its only until 1pm - but my friend is a worrier, and wants to make sure she is doing everything she can for quality of life.

Again - Thanks for all the help.
dog_lover
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Having said that - sorry I've just seen Moons comment.

Would mental stimulation in the morning cancel out exercise? She gets two walks a day - so I'm guessing its still 'working her'. Beagles are known to putting on weight, so I think she wants to also ensure she is in good fitness and health.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't think she should feel guilty as long as the dog seems happy being at home, if she doesn't go all search and destroy when left alone.

If she is up for it she could try..ehmm... what's it called in English. Tracking? Trail?
I can however see the problem here in England where there is alot less open space and nature than in Norway, so it depends what kind of areas she's got around her! but it's fun for both dog and owner, and very tiring for the dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I think you answered your own question by commenting that she feels guilty. She may feel guilty but I pretty much guarantee the dog feels fine. That sounds like plenty of exercise and stimulation for most dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >