Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gusthemalamute
New Member!
Male 

11-01-2012, 02:59 AM

Open sores appearing randomly. Help

Hi, I have a Alaskan Malamute that since august frequently gets open sores on his skin. They usually are about the size of a quatre when they appear.

The first time they appeared was in July. I tried to keep them clean and used anti biotic anoitnment, but they became infected. So I took my dog to the vet and it was determinned to be a staff infection. He did not swab or test the sores. We both knew it was infected because of the smell and runny puss. So he gave him a injection of antbiotics. Sores went away in a week.

Then in september he got the same type of sore on his neck. A large open sore on his leg. Within a few days I knew it was infected because of the smell. So I went back to the same vet and told him he seems to have the same thing again. I did not bring the dog because I was positive it was the same type of sore. The vet gave me 3 weeks worth of antibiotic pills. It cleared up again in a week. But then a month and a half later he got another sore. This time it didn't seem do get infected or the dog faught it off. I keep cleaning the sore and it got better in a week.

Again today he has a open sore the size of a quatre on his leg. It was not there yesterday. Within 24 hours this quarte size sore just appeared. I am going to keep it clean and use the antibiotic cream and keep an eye on it. If it gets infected or doesn't get better I will take the dog to the Vet.

The dog is a 6 year old malamute. He is a big dog and weighed 230lbs last time we went to the vet. He is a bit over weight, but not overly fat. He's active and other than the sores he's healthy.

What is wrong with my dog??? Why do these sores appear? Should I get the sores tested? The vet insists he is getting the sores because he rubs himself raw on our deck outside. I know this is not true because we do not let the dog lay on the deck. And right now, theres snow on the deck so he couldn't have gotten the sores this way. I know he's not chewing on himself either.

I should also add, the first two times he got these sores we also had a german shepard that I took in from a resucue from a farm. I thought the shepard gave him something at first, but we got rid of the shepard in October. Please help!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Could potentially be hot spots....... or dermatitis of some kind. Do you have any photos?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Sounds like what they call hot spots to me too, one of my dogs suffers with this. You could try bathing the area with diluted Hibiscrub which kills off bacteria and then applying your ab cream. Hot spots are quite common in a lot of breeds, don't really know about staffie's, but Westie terriers are reknowned for it. Take a look at some pics on Google and info and see if it relates to what you're seeing?

Make sure you de-flea regularly too as that helps. Maybe that gsd brought some fleas into your house and you might need to de-flea the house perhaps?

Good that you're keeping on top of it. My dog could have one the size of a 1/4 and half an hour later it would be 6" diameter, because they like to gnaw at these which doesn't help. The cream does work wonders on them though, I use Fuciderm on his and it always stops them in their tracks, so keep a good supply in for future use. Good luck with him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2012, 08:02 AM
I think the OP means a staph [Staphylococcal] infection although he said that the vet did not did not swab or test the sores.

If it is a staph infection then it might need different antibiotic medications in order to see which one clears it up, as some strains are not responsive to regular anti-Bs [MRSA being one such strain of a staphylococcal infection].
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 08:32 AM
This website is about lick granulomas, but does have a list of procedures your vet can do to rule in/out other causes of skin sores
http://www.lbah.com/canine/ald.htm

Skin Scraping
It is important to do a skin scraping in many cases of ALD because the symptoms and lesions commonly mimic those of ectoparasites like demodex or scabies.

Fungal Culture
Ringworm lesions can look similar to ALD lesions. In Ringworm there is usually not as much licking.

Radiography
If we suspect the licking is from a painful joint we can sometimes make this diagnosis from an x-ray.

Skin Biopsy
This test is used to help differentiate skin tumors or deep fungal infections as the initial cause of ALD.

Fine Needle aspiration
As an alternative to an actual skin biopsy we can do a simpler test called a fine needle aspirate. In this test we use a syringe with a tiny needle to take a sample of the affected area. This sample is put on a microscope slide for analysis by one of our pathologists.

It does not require general or local anesthesia and can be performed during an office call. Only a small amount of tissue is sent to the lab for analysis, so it is not always possible to make a complete diagnosis this way.

Bacterial Culture
This test will give us an indication of the type of bacteria involved. Since the top of the lesion is contaminated with many bacteria, some of which are not part of the problem, a culture is performed on biopsy samples that are taken in a sterile manner.

Allergy Test
Allergies can be a major component of ALD. Please refer to our allergic dermatitis page due learn about allergy testing.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I assume your vet has ruled out the obvious causes?
Dogs that have a sore or itchy spot scratch or lick at it until the skin is broken. This allows a bacterial infection to set in, making an open sore.
The first thing, I suggest is to treat the infection, and prevent the dog scratching, then to find the cause or trigger.
Unfortunately this can be anything from food intolerance to fleas to joint pain. You have to be a bit of a detective to find the root cause.
Can you think of anything new (different food, new cat, change of cleaning product) since July?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I think the OP means a staph [Staphylococcal] infection although he said that the vet did not did not swab or test the sores.

If it is a staph infection then it might need different antibiotic medications in order to see which one clears it up, as some strains are not responsive to regular anti-Bs [MRSA being one such strain of a staphylococcal infection].
Oh yeah, thanks grandma, but I had only just woken up!! xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Have you seen your vet?

HAs he ruled out zinc responsive dermatosis which I am sure you are aware of owning this breed?