Our sister sites
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i agree.....

are u wary of your pup?
i am very wary of her. i stay on top of every bad behavior. this is the fourth dog i have raised, others being boxers and spaniel mix, she is by far the most head strong! got a trainer coming to my house on sunday hope to learn how to properly redirect her!
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
agree with the others - puppy behaviour
do you notice any pattern with when your pup does this?
after something really exciting happens? can you see your pup getting wound up before it happens?
If so you can get in there first with an appropriate toy

Some dogs are very vocal when they are playing tuggy

But I would get yourself a nice reward based trainer to help you out
actually she just starts hunting us then pounces like a cat. and trust me i have never thought this behavior was cute. she is vocal when we play tug with her rope.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
i am very wary of her. i stay on top of every bad behavior. this is the fourth dog i have raised, others being boxers and spaniel mix, she is by far the most head strong! got a trainer coming to my house on sunday hope to learn how to properly redirect her!
how do u stay ontop of her behaviour?

tad worrying u are wary of a small(in age) puppy

actually she just starts hunting us then pounces like a cat. and trust me i have never thought this behavior was cute. she is vocal when we play tug with her rope
she is playing

some dogs are very vocal when playing .......why not say 'ah ah' (or whatever) and giving her a tuggy to redirect the playing onto she will soon learn that toys are for this sort of game not people.
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
how do u stay ontop of her behaviour?

tad worrying u are wary of a small(in age) puppy

she is playing

some dogs are very vocal when playing .......why not say 'ah ah' (or whatever) and giving her a tuggy to redirect the playing onto she will soon learn that toys are for this sort of game not people.
i just keep my eye on her to make sure she is chewing her toys/bones and not my couch or doors and keep her from tolieting in the house. i do tell her no and then redirect her but she doesnt want anything to do with her toys. i worry because i dont want a 150 pound dog ripping my friends clothes...i have a trainer coming on sunday to teach my how to address this.
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 02:01 PM
she also plays very normal like a typical puppy then snaps into cujo mode...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
she also plays very normal like a typical puppy then snaps into cujo mode...
Glad you have a trainer comming round
where did you find them??

what you are describing IS normal puppy behavior, not appropriate but from what you are saying it is normal

didnt say it had to be cute althoughI do find it cute when they are pouncing and snarling at a toy
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Glad you have a trainer comming round
where did you find them??

what you are describing IS normal puppy behavior, not appropriate but from what you are saying it is normal

didnt say it had to be cute althoughI do find it cute when they are pouncing and snarling at a toy
i found them looking into the animal behavioral college. i know some of it is normal just dont want bad habits in the future...
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:11 PM
The first thing you can do is stop this behavior!! I know you know this... LOL Invest in a good chew toy like a kong or a nylabone (or something they have interest in... maybe the toys you have aren't his/her style) and when your puppy starts attacking your trousers you instantly remove your pooch's mouth from your pants, give the "correct" chew instrument and say " .... name... NO!" and walk away. You need to repeat this and if they divert their chewing behavior to your hand...etc you need to flip them on their backs and hold them down in a dominant behavior until they STOP MOVING (ie: fighting back), once submission has been reached you let them up and walk away. You must be persistent with this... it can and may take weeks... right now there is no established hierachy it sounds like and what is annoying and tollerable now.... won't be when your puppy isn't a puppy anymore.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by WheatenDaneMom View Post
need to flip them on their backs and hold them down in a dominant behavior until they STOP MOVING (ie: fighting back), once submission has been reached you let them up and walk away. You must be persistent with this... it can and may take weeks... right now there is no established hierachy it sounds like and what is annoying and tollerable now.... won't be when your puppy isn't a puppy anymore.
Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where to start.
OK - please under no account take the `advice` above.
It is pointless, counter-productive and plain nasty.
I`m hoping the lady who gave the advice has never terrorised a puppy like this but is simply acting on the daft advice of a well known TV entertainer who has more cojones than brain cells.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by WheatenDaneMom View Post
You need to repeat this and if they divert their chewing behavior to your hand...etc you need to flip them on their backs and hold them down in a dominant behavior until they STOP MOVING (ie: fighting back), once submission has been reached you let them up and walk away. You must be persistent with this... it can and may take weeks... right now there is no established hierachy it sounds like and what is annoying and tollerable now.... won't be when your puppy isn't a puppy anymore.

I would suggest that this is a potentially very dangerous idea with a dog of this breeding. Apart from this, there is actually no NEED for it in ANY dog including those who are ahem assertive.

There are other more effective and less hazardous methods of ensuring that your dog respects your body/clothes than this which are far easier to implement.
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »