Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Dogs do not really care WHEN YOU eat, in fact they live in hope (most of them) that some will come their way!

As I said in another thread my dogs eat when it is convenient for me to feed them.

It could be after, before or with me.
Exactly! In fact, my dogs eat once a day, at night and sometimes it is before, and sometimes it is after us. As you say, whenever it is convenient, I don't believe in routine, although they are fed usually around 6pm, never before but often much later.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Mine are fed sometimes before me and sometimes after. The meal time has more to do with what time they are walked than what time I'm eating. Some nights they are fed at 6pm, some nights at 8pm. Their walking routine is centred around my kids and their evening activities, and the meal and they are fed an hour before or after the walk.

More dominance BS. I had this debate with a guy the other day. Also about walking through doors first etc. I said pushing through doors is more of a manners issue than dominance, and if I'm walking all 4 of mine I let them go first otherwise the leads get tangled.

My dogs walk through doors before me, sometimes eat before me, sit on the furniture, lie on my bed and have not once challenged me or growled etc.
Good post! My dogs actually are not allowed on the sofa simply because there would be no room for us, but they are allowed on the bed for cuddles in the mornings. As long as your dogs will get down when told to, without growl or protest, then this will not lead to their dominance ... with humans. Maybe with another dog - Ben likes to try and Lord it over Tai when he is in the bed, and Tai gives him a look and he jumps off the bed ... wish I had such good control!!

As for walking through doors first, if they are both on the lead I walk through a door or gate first, but if they are loose then I would prefer them to go first to avoid being goosed by Ben or in the case of going down the stairs being tripped up. I much prefer my dogs in front of me so I can see what they are up to.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
It's 100% TRUE.

Fail to follow this rule at your own peril.

If you don't eat first, before you know what's what, you'll be eating dry kibble and cooking roast lamb for the dog

Next thing you know, they'll be on the sofa and you'll be on the floor

They've almost achieved domination - next step is to take control of the bedroom

Them pesky dogs - you can't trust em - I swear they've got a grand plan to take over the world !
What are you like!!! I LOVE the birthday cake!!

Beautiful dogs - where do you sleep??
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What are you like!!! I LOVE the birthday cake!!

Beautiful dogs - where do you sleep??
In my crate of course !
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Bah load of tosh!!!

Its also impracticle as we might not fancy eating before our dogs and makes no difference anyway.
justpetdogs
New Member!

08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
When I watch JF giving a talk in Oz, she said it did not matter what you ate as long as you ate something from the dogs bowl before you fed the dog (she was suggesting a grape) all so the dogs could detect the saliva release........I did not hear much more of that talk.
Following that line of reasoning...no need to actually eat anything, just sniff a lemon!

Marion
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by justpetdogs View Post
Following that line of reasoning...no need to actually eat anything, just sniff a lemon!

Marion
Ah, but much more fun to eat a bar of chocolate before feeding the dog.

In fact, it sounds good to me so maybe something I should consider - bang goes the diet
BeagleOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Actually, my dog always eays before me.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 11:17 AM
My lot are fed around 8.30 am and 5.30 pm all before me.... ......they go through doors before me cos it's safer for me not to get knocked down... all are on the sofa as I type and Anoush comes up to bed with me in the week as eversuffering husband isn't here......

Are we all set for World Domination from our dogs......quick find an underground sanctuary for all of our sakes !!!!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Our two always get fed before us. They get their breakfast before I get in the shower in the mornings so at least I know they've had it, and at teatime they get their tea when we get back from a walk.

OH works away all week so on Fridays, he may not get back until 7 or 8pm depending on the traffic, then we have a few beers and finally eat between 9 - 10pm, by which time they would have chewed the legs off the dining table.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >