View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Meeka is the same regarding personal space.

She's not dog aggressive, I call her dog intolerant, she just doesn't like them in her (or my) space.

She will ignore all dogs when out walking on or off lead and will even let them come and sniff but if they are persistant or bounce all over her then they will get growled and air snapped at. She does not, however, bite them, it is just a warning to ****** off
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:07 AM
As dogs mature they get more choosy about their friends.
As long as it`s a warning I wouldn`t worry. After all, the other dog may well have been rude!
A lot of dogs storm up to Shamus - as a neutered male he`s seen as fair game, I think. So Shamus has developed a strategy of standing tall and rigid (and he`s a big boy) and giving blood-curdling growls. If the dog doesn`t get the message, the owner certainly does. I just smile sweetly as they drag their dog away, muttering about nasty dogs because Shamus is the biggest wuss ever and never ever shows aggression. It`s just his way of saying `beggar off!`.
I notice these dogs are never stupid enough to push their luck with Daisy!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I appreciate your dog was fearful, my response was to the OP, I have two dogs with excellent temperaments, who are confident in sltuations and with all dogs; NEITHER appreciates their space being invaded.

Neither do I.

They have no need for behavioural modification, unlike yours.

My point was that the behaviour described by the original poster did not need "curing".
I agre with this. I think people, by and large, can expect too much from dogs. We were chatting to a lady with 3 dogs yesterday, a Lab x Poodle, a Tibetan Terrier and a Lowchen. Cherry does not like big dogs so she was just sitting near me after having a sniff of the small dogs. Parker was having a meet and greet with the little dogs nicely when the Lowchen barked at him. The lady apologised and said her dog was like this sometimes as it didn't always like other dogs near it. I said don't worry-he is fine as Parker just backed off. Her dog was only telling mine that she didn't want to be sniffed which is ok!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I appreciate your dog was fearful, my response was to the OP, I have two dogs with excellent temperaments, who are confident in sltuations and with all dogs; NEITHER appreciates their space being invaded.
I suppose it is what ever suits the owner. I do find it strange thought that this dog, like mine will try to hide or stay very close to the owner when another dog comes near, is better off lead and with smaller dogs, but at home where he is more confident he seems to have no problem with it at all.
It is hard to be able to suggest if it is a fear thing or just the dog being who he is with out seeing his reactions. My point is that if it is a fear thing then the dog maybe stressed by this and in that case I would look at trying to change his opinion on other dogs. If the dog is happy and just wants his own space then just let him have his own space.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
Just been on the field talking to someone i know whos got a gsd and a rottie x and my dog just growls everytime they sniff him or get too close and he stands right against me. He used to love playing with other dogs aswell but now he just doesn't want them near him.
is this when he is on or off lead?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I suppose it is what ever suits the owner. I do find it strange thought that this dog, like mine will try to hide or stay very close to the owner when another dog comes near,

For me it is whatever suits the DOG!

I do not find it strange for example that my dogs would stay close to ME or go BEHIND me (as I have taught my dogs to do) when approached by an uninvited guest!

MOST dogs, IME, are much better with dogs when off lead as of course THEY are now in control of not only their body posture but whether to approach or retreat; they are not hampered by the well meaning (but often inappropriate) attempts by owners when meeting and greeting.

IE the lead is taut, the dog's head is pulled up and they are unable to adopt the body language to suit the occasion.

As you say, you have to SEE behaviours in context to be able to come to a conclusion.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:52 PM

For me it is whatever suits the DOG!
Defiantly agree! You always should do what is best for your dog.

I do not find it strange for example that my dogs would stay close to ME or go BEHIND me (as I have taught my dogs to do) when approached by an uninvited guest!
I think that is a fantastic thing to teach your dog. I think I will start training that But without being taught do you think it is an automatic behaviour of a typical dog? I suppose in some context with a more relaxed dog it could be a thing of 'I'll be here where you can keep a close eye on this guy'. It's not something I have seen a confident, relaxed looking dog do. I normally see it with a dog peering through owners legs, eyes wide, tail tucked far under, not breathing dogs. But I fully support that a happy relaxed dog that doesn't want attention may use the owner as a block when a strange dog is heading their way.

So not much help for the OP, as I think we can agree that it could be either.

If it develops further then it may be a cause for concern, but like others have said he could just be getting a little older and a little less tolerant of other dogs. It is normal, but something to keep an eye on that he doesn't become out of control, which I don't think you would allow.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
is this when he is on or off lead?
He was off lead
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
If your dog does not have a go at other dogs and he just does not like them invading his space, then your dog sounds perfectly normal to me. I do not like people invading my space either; have you read #He only wants to say Hi# which you can find under the free articles on Flying Dog Press?

That should put things into perspective for you.

It is not necessary for dogs to like every dog they meet, as it is not necessary for humans to do same, all that is necessary is that everyone displays good manners.
Sometimes he will have a go, especially dogs that come flying over (normally playful, submissive dogs he is worse with) He also tends to be better with dogs that tell him off, really strange
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As dogs mature they get more choosy about their friends.
As long as it`s a warning I wouldn`t worry. After all, the other dog may well have been rude!
A lot of dogs storm up to Shamus - as a neutered male he`s seen as fair game, I think. So Shamus has developed a strategy of standing tall and rigid (and he`s a big boy) and giving blood-curdling growls. If the dog doesn`t get the message, the owner certainly does. I just smile sweetly as they drag their dog away, muttering about nasty dogs because Shamus is the biggest wuss ever and never ever shows aggression. It`s just his way of saying `beggar off!`.
I notice these dogs are never stupid enough to push their luck with Daisy!
i would say hes mellowed as hes got older, when he was younger he would bark at dogs when he was onlead now hes not as fussed about them (most of the time anyway). Theres a westie that barks in a front garden where we walk past and he pulls me away and rushes past quick yet other times he seems like a big bully
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >