Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh rabbitts !!!!

At the moment my 3 year old american bull dog x is on a diet as the vet believes shes overweight she has currently lost a kilo and is 29kg. She has never been overly active on her walks unless she sees another dog to play with. She is usually content wandering along behind sniffing and boy does she sniff lol she was walked off lead and would come when called and will leave her doggy mates to continue the walk with me and her step bro but just recently ive been having to keep her on a long line or extendy lead.she is very observant of her surroundings and just recently as soon as she picks up on a scent shes off she totally ignores recall. and i end up having to chase her as the run in the opersite direction does not work even if she looks at me for a second doesnt take long for her to turn and continue after the scent.shes a nightmare to walk on lead as she drags and my other dog pulls (he cant be off lead as can be da) i would love to have her off lead again so we can all enjoy are walks and she can burn more calories but unless i manage to get rid of all resident rabbits and grouse this looks unlikely any suggestions greatly recieved
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
This may be worth a read
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-...y-dog-chasing/
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Smokeybear has an excellent recall training sheet (PM her)

I know how you feel, I have an eejit who used to go bunny chasing too!
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks will do ive also ordered a book of amazon so i will continue to try and cure her lol
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I try to look on the positive side as my collie is like this (i.e just meanders along at a snails pace until he gets a scent up his nose)...At least he's getting some physical exercise which he wouldnt otherwise get!

No consolation and no help but thats the outlook I take so I dont go into meltdown!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 05:47 PM
the other thing you can do is go to a gundog trainer who has a rabbit pen, once you have a little more control over her.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2011, 04:22 PM
well were starting some more training classes with the rspca tonight so see how things go thanks all for the advice