Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm definately partial to a workshop.

I've got a 4 day workshop lined up with John Rogerson, one of his Canine CSI courses which involves lots of scent work for the dogs and then I want to get myself on a gundog training day with Rory Major. I've attended a distance control day in the past (gundog) which was pointless TBH and we learned nothing new. There was lots of repetative exercises yet there wasnt any problem solving so if your dog didnt stop on the whistle the owners werent really shown how to achieve this, they just hoped the dog did better on it's next attempt. Plus my dog was advanced compared to the others but there had been no information regarding the level this course was aimed at.

As I have a keen interest in most dog disciplines from obedience, flyball and agility to gundog work, working trials and Schutzhund then I like to get involved with most things. The thing that I look for is variety and i'm talking whole courses here and not just single classes. If I could come across a training club that taught most disciplines then i'd be a very happy person.

I'm sitting here with a bit of a blank mind and havent really answered the questions!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
God, where to start on this one!

Firstly, I do like workshops as well - it certainly gives an insight in to and a taster of things you and your dog may well be interested in, before signing up for a lengthy course, for example.

I did agility with my two and I feel now as I've come as far as I can go with that with my current two dogs. Molly (Westie) got a bit fed up with it and she really enjoys trick training and working with me, so I thought we'd give heelwork to music a go to see how we both got on. It turned out that we both enjoy it a lot and learn so much more than just tricks - I've learned a lot with regards to body language, body awareness (both in handler and dog) and have learned how to use a clicker properly and with with great effect.

I'm really pleased with the 'touch' command and hand targetting. That can lead on to so much more, such as closer heelwork and better positioning in other moves.

When mine get a bit excited or aren't concentrating properly or bark during training when I don't want them to, walking away and ignoring them, then returning when they are calmer and carrying on - that is very much beneficial, too. Of course, barking on command can also be worthwhile!

I think it is more beneficial for both dog and owner to learn the basics first, such as control and how to manage unwanted behaviours (and how to stop them and/or change them in to something more positive and wanted) so as they aren't taught then in the first place, before moving on to more progressive and advanced moves and behaviours.

I'm interested in dogs' body language as well - how they behave around each other and why - and also how to encourage/discourage behaviours in dogs with the owner's body language also. I find it really interesting and worthwhile knowing as it really can help in many situations.

That said, it's a never ending time of learning when training dogs and you always hope to improve each and every day.

I just want my dogs to have a full and happy life and I'll do everything I can to make it better for them. I also enjoy working with them.

I'm sure there's so much more, so I may be back!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
For me I listened to the common opinion that greys cant be trained , from the KCGC class I am attending that has dispelled the myth as Bella is now well on the way to passing silver , I never thought for a minute she would do leave it with food ! The classes have been good in increasing my confidence, giving me good basic knowledge to teach my dogs but the main I learned is how to be consistent with commands and to always made them work for treats and how to read doggy body lauguage. I dont take Tom to classes due to him reacting to other dogs but the classes have benefited him at home as I am a far better handler than I was 6 months ago. I am trying to find an agility class I can take Tom to as he loves to run and jump , I have done the basics with him in our large garden and hope him enjoying having fun on the course will allow him not to react , its worth a try ! I have a very traditional course tutor but she sure can control a dog in a positive manner and they really respond well to her , she seems to have their respect , she is firm but fair and caring and I am learning to be that way too. Caring is easy , firm not so !
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
i like my trainer because she is of the belief that dogs are easy its teaching people that is difficult

my trainer also will give advice about what type of training she thinks will benifit you and your dog for example she doesn't clicker train every dog but if she thinks it will help, she will show you how to use a clicker, she also takes the extra time with any owner who has questions and will answer them, and if you are looking for a specific activity which she doesn't have at the minute (eg ringcraft) she will point you in the direction of the class and then ask how you got on

we do 2 at a time recalls, recalls through a group of people with their dogs, walk around all over the floor in amongst other dogs, we have recall race's which is great fun and she is getting jumps made for class so we can do recalls over those to. (if your dog isn't happy to do any of these i.e to hyper and is getting distracted by the other dogs or nervous then she will just do a one-to-one recall)

she prefers to toy train, but if you use "sweeties" as she calls them for your dog, she also shows you how to phase out these sweetie's once the dog has learned the behaviour so that the dog is listening to you and not having to be bribed (which is the mistake my first trainer made, so i was struggling for a good couple of years to get ty to do anything without having to have a sweetie in my hand for him)
'Sweeties'?! Sounds kind of old fashioned!
What if you use pieces of your dog's meal as the reward?
Food training is often quicker because you can complete more reps and is only a bribe if the dog sees the food before you request the behaviour.

I've been to clubs that use only toys and you find around 30% of handlers looking quite dejected because their dogs just aren't toy driven.

Interesting post.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
For me, it was learning eye contact as the foundation. Once that was acquired, the requests and commands worked super fast!

I likes it so much I teach it myself now!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
A few things - one was the basic "leave it" which was progressed via further training and predictive reward to a successful chase stopper

Another would be the demo I did at a workshop once, I was demoing but learning at the same time! Teaching a retrieve to hand via clicker work but in a particular way. I.e. pick up dummy, click, (drop), treat.Then target the palm of the hand I.e., touch, click, treat. Lots of reps of both.

Then when dummy was on floor, quickly put hand near to muzzle as dog is picking dummy up, and dog automatically targets the palm with dummy in - perfect retrieve to hand and very clever. Easy for dog, easy for owner - loved it
(I already clicker trained, but it was that session that really opened my eyes to the possibility of how amazing it can be).

I think those are probably the best that sort of stand out.

Wys
x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
A very wise person once said to me don't train anything until you know how to train the "off" switch! It's something I remember everytime I see a dog pawing at someone to get attention.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
A very wise person once said to me don't train anything until you know how to train the "off" switch! It's something I remember everytime I see a dog pawing at someone to get attention.
- the first thing people learn in my classes is a Default down!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
'Sweeties'?! Sounds kind of old fashioned!
What if you use pieces of your dog's meal as the reward?
Food training is often quicker because you can complete more reps and is only a bribe if the dog sees the food before you request the behaviour.

I've been to clubs that use only toys and you find around 30% of handlers looking quite dejected because their dogs just aren't toy driven.

Interesting post.
that's just the word she uses for treats, wether that be your dogs food or liver it doesn't matter

but as i said, she prefers toy training but most people in my class use treats, its whatever the handler and dog is most comfortable with, i use treats with my 2 own dogs and with 2 of my mums but with my mums male i use a tennis ball (tried a ball on the rope it just doesn't hold his interest like the tennis ball does)

whatever the reward that you choose to work with my trainer will show you how to use it to your advantage while training, and if you want to whistle train, she will show you how to do that, and if you want to clicker train she will show you how to do that aswell.
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 01:26 PM
From t'other side of fence best thing I have ever learnt about classes was about 2 years ago ... having been perplexed for a good few years about why some owners seemed to struggle with the most basic of exercises - we discovered thanks to a student we were mentoring .. that when demo'ing something most owners watch THE DOG and NOT THE TRAINER ... so they don't actually see what to do .....
we then began to ask after every demo "what did you watch dog or trainer?" answer the vast majority of people watch the dog!!!

There ! Had no idea ... now we demo firstly without a dog, get owners to "go through the action", then we demo with a dog ... my goodness the improvement ... sometimes we look too hard at things!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >