Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
i think it would of been a mixture of looking stupid and not understanding the dog, it should of gone like this,
when the dog barked a psssst and gentle lead tug so the dog was aware you didnt like its actions at that time,
thats if you dont mind correcting a dog for bad behavior, and you dont have to say pssst could be anything, but people who worry about looking stupid in public with there dogs i havnt got much time for, most people who dont have dogs must look out there windows on a rainy day thinking we are all mad.
seeing as the dog calmed down after passing the calm happy dogs which ignored the yapping dog ,that would have been a good time for praise and good doggy, maybe the person didnt want to look stupid talking to the dog. I would of corrected and praised, thats just my opinion
Good post - I am a fan of CM with a small f, and use his "oi" rather than a psst. If Tai had yapped at a passing dog, if he was on the lead I would have given him a tug and a sharp "oi" immediately - there is no point acting after the event, dogs live in the present, not the past or the future, so both reward and "punishment" must be instantaneous. Me too would have corrected instantly, and then praised when my dog calmed down.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
OMG that is pure comedy gold

that takes the biscuit !!

Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Good post - I am a fan of CM with a small f, and use his "oi" rather than a psst. If Tai had yapped at a passing dog, if he was on the lead I would have given him a tug and a sharp "oi" immediately - there is no point acting after the event, dogs live in the present, not the past or the future, so both reward and "punishment" must be instantaneous. Me too would have corrected instantly, and then praised when my dog calmed down.
This won't work for many reactive dogs. When my dog was reactive any tightening of the leash made her reaction worse, not better. I had to actually do the opposite. Loosen the leash so there was NO tension and speak quietly and calmly to her.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
This won't work for many reactive dogs. When my dog was reactive any tightening of the leash made her reaction worse, not better. I had to actually do the opposite. Loosen the leash so there was NO tension and speak quietly and calmly to her.
I don't mean permanent tension - just a short, sharp jerk at the same time saying "oi" or "no", and then an immediate release of the lead. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I don't mean permanent tension - just a short, sharp jerk at the same time saying "oi" or "no", and then an immediate release of the lead. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear.
I know what you meant and that's still sudden tension. I tried that when I first got my girl and found that a quick tug, a constant pull, or anything that added any sort of tension, even for a moment, caused her to react even MORE.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
absolutely! i realised fairly quickly when Tupac was going thru this at his teenage,was to speak everso softly and calmly ..not feed his reactiveness by joining in with him.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I know what you meant and that's still sudden tension. I tried that when I first got my girl and found that a quick tug, a constant pull, or anything that added any sort of tension, even for a moment, caused her to react even MORE.
yip! same here.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Also if its fear punishing the dog wont make them less scared

they see dog, they start barking, hear you start barking too - hmm dosent encourage them to stop barking does it?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
With Kerrie's not liking other dogs (and discovering that she is her own worst enemy, she is very rude toward other dogs) Ive taught her a really good leave, I dont tense up, dont put any pressure on the lead, or make her sit etc. That way other dogs, have become something she maybe flicks an ear at, but otherwise ignores.

Tensing a lead/shouting/punishment would not work with most dogs in these situations, and I think would be counterproductive (dog learns to associate bad things happening when another dog appears)
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I totally agree with this.
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »